Return air bubbles

Backyardchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Northern Vermont
Hi everyone,

I have a 25,000 gal IG vinyl pool. I began the opening process late last week, and all seems to be going fine except that yesterday we noticed consistent light bubbles coming from the two returns. We have a Hayward 1/2 HP motor on a Rainbow M series 8 cartridge filtration system. Everything in the pool shed looks dry -- no leaks that I can see.

In addition to the two returns we also have a Polaris hook up with a booster pump. Water regularly flows (lightly) through the Polaris return, and we sometimes get bubbles there too. Last year we did find that there was a leak on the Polaris return line. Our local pool guy cut it out and spliced it.

So, any thoughts on where the air is coming in and what I can do to trouble shoot the issue?

Thanks!

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
You probably have a leak before the pump. Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight. Next, check any unions or union-type valves on the suction lines for tightness.

Backyardchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Northern Vermont
JohnT said:
Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight.
I can lube the O rings with silicone, and check the pump strainer lid. As for the drain plug ... I'm not sure what that is. I know on the front of the cartridge system there is a pipe that looks like it is sealed with a putty & plug of some sort. There is also a faucet on the opposite end of that pipe that I've never touched. Is this where the plug is?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Backyardchemist said:
JohnT said:
Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight.
I can lube the O rings with silicone, and check the pump strainer lid. As for the drain plug ... I'm not sure what that is. I know on the front of the cartridge system there is a pipe that looks like it is sealed with a putty & plug of some sort. There is also a faucet on the opposite end of that pipe that I've never touched. Is this where the plug is?
On the bottom of your pump strainer basket, there is a small threaded plug to drain the basket for winterization.

Other Threads of Interest