Retrofit Pentair Microbrite to IG gunite pool

kazamali

May 28, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi folks,

I just had a pool build completed and realized (after the fact) that i don't have any lighting on my tanning ledge. The rest of the pool is using multiple Pentair Globrite Color lights, so for the tanning ledge I was thinking of adding a Microbrite (since the area is shallow/small). Since I'm all sealed/decked in, it's an understatement that this would be a challenge. I actually thought of a method to retrofit this (something I'm currently "negotiating" with my PB), but *if* I ever have to go my own route, it seems I'd have to core out a 1.5" niche (cutting thru plaster/glass waterline tile) and be able to run the feed back to the equip shed via the deck's deep expansion joints. First question is: what kind of coring bit would I need?...with the shallow Microbrite niche requirement, not sure if I'd be hitting any rebar (so wet/dry?). Second question is what kind of wall fitting would the Microbrite use and where could I purchase it? I have plenty of wattage capacity (2 x 300W transformers for 6 lights so far)

Again, I'm just pondering this and not looking to screw with my warranty, but the engineer in me wants to solve it since I'm looking at a half dark pool every night. :p

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
You need at least a 2" bit. They can be found on Amazon or a contractor's supply store.

The microbrites use standard 1.5" NPT threads so any adapter or pool return fitting will work.

Why not use a globrite if you already have some?

kazamali

May 28, 2020
Austin, TX
Thanks for the replies! Microbrite mainly because the footprint is smaller (diameter and niche depth) , nicheless and gives me the option of another mfr. in case i want to change it in the future. I did speak with my PB today and he confirmed that THEY screwed up (the light's in the orig. plans), so I'll update the thread with further developments.

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
FYI the microbrite may have a slightly different color than the globrites... don't have a clue what it would amount to in real life. What size is your pool? How do you like have 6 lights? I am dealing with not having installed enough microbrites in my pool. Going from 3 to 4 for sure and trying to convince my wife we need 5. Problem is my shell is already shot so I have limited options but have worked through an option with the builder to add more by drilling as you are planning.

1590717013496.png

kazamali

May 28, 2020
Austin, TX
My pool is 35' x ~18-23' (depending on if you include the tanning ledge). Good call on the color difference, but it could be negligible for the application as we mainly use the blue at night. I like the 6 lights we have and the 5 *in* the pool really light up the volume very well (3.5' to 6' depths). Here are pictures of it at night to give you a good idea of the coverage

Attachments

joepaiii

May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
My pool is 35' x ~18-23' (depending on if you include the tanning ledge). Good call on the color difference, but it could be negligible for the application as we mainly use the blue at night. I like the 6 lights we have and the 5 *in* the pool really light up the volume very well (3.5' to 6' depths). Here are pictures of it at night to give you a good idea of the coverage
That looks great!