Reto-bonding

TonyM

May 11, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Hi Guys - Continuing with my never-ending hobby of pool improvements :).

Today's project: Bonding

Back-story: 27' AGP, installed by the previous homeowner (guessing about 11 or 12 years ago). I noticed no wire connected to the bonding lug on the pump, or any tool to bond to the water, so I have to assume the pool was never bonded when they installed it. I still plan to check around the pool where there is no deck with my metal detector to see if i can pick up on any copper ~2' from the pool, but I seriously doubt it. Pool is partially buried, and decked 50%. It appears to be a resin pool (just figuring all the terms out) -plastic uprights and the pool wall is ferrous (magnet sticks to it). Only has 2 seams at the skimmer wall section, which looks to be stainless (magnet doesn't stick).

Anyway, from reading many threads on here it looks like I really am only going to have the option to connect to the seam bolts on that one section for the bond to the pool.

My question begins with: I can push in on the top of the wall at one of the seams and see the bolts and nuts behind the upright. If I hold my mouth just right, I can get a 10mm wrench in there and can turn them. Before I stand on my head to do it this way, I wanted to check to see if I could pull the top of the cap off and get to them that way. I cant see the bolt using the "peek" method, so I am not sure if the nut is turning or the bolt is spinning without the ability to see the threads while turning.

What I don't want to do today is to surf down my lawn by removing too much...

Fortunately, from the peeking i can do, it looks like i might have enough threads to put a wire lug on then run a jam nut behind it (assuming I get bendy enough)..

While I can't speak for your pool, when I did mine the pool installer told me I could remove the upright completely, because the force of the pool was equally distributed on the wall itself, and the uprights were more decorative than actually holding it up.

Now, I can't speak for the intelligence of pool installers, but he was the one warrantying the install work - and I did remove the top cap and the upright to install the bonding wire - and had no issues whatsoever.

That's what it looks like to me as well, since i can actually push on the wall and pull on the upright to "peek" in there. It seems like there is not much force on the upright.

Here are a few shots (pulled the top cap off).

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 22
When I did mine I had to unscrew both the top rail and the upright itself to take it off. I don’t think you’d have any issue removing what you need to in order to get to the bolts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.