Resurface in Tampa Bay - Project complete!

KCNM

Silver Supporter
May 20, 2021
Tampa Bay, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Getting ready to sign with a builder for a resurface, retile, and some new equipment. Current plaster delaminating is the main impetus -- there's at least one spot on the bottom that flexes when I step on it. And just within the first six inches under the waterline, there's around 7-8 smaller spots delaminating.

• 10,000 in-ground gunite sport pool (3 - 6.5 - 3 depth).
  • Full demo of existing plaster.
  • Surface: Joining the PebbleSheen Blue S(m)urf club -- though we are still debating between that and Blue Granite for $900 cheaper.
  • Tile: Luv Frosted 1x1 light blue (FST-11LB) or Luv Seacrest Random Blocks (SRT-BR02). They are respectively bottom-middle and bottom-right on attached picture. Leaning towards the Seacrest.
  • Our filter is currently under the skimmer *in the ground*, and is undersized. Apparently this is a common setup for spas and above ground pools, but has baffled everyone who has seen it here. Will be getting a proper filter.
  • Replacing skimmer.
  • New colored LED lights. We currently have two lights, which is a lot for such a small pool. We might be dropping to one or going with spa-sized lights?
  • Our metal light junction boxes are currently sticking out of the ground next to the pool. Will be relocating those. All I can imagine is kids running around the deck and someone busting their head open on one of those things. I've almost tripped over them myself while mowing.
  • Salt water generator.
  • First month service.

Open to opinions on surface, tile, and lights.

I think the only question I have at this point is that the builder does normally do an acid wash start. Been reading a lot about the startups and it seems like that one is not favored? Is this something I should try to push back on to do a bicarb start instead? Mostly worried about fading after selecting a stand-out color.

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: kevin76
Signed contract today. Estimated start date is beginning of August.

Now officially joining the Blue Smurf club with the Seacrest tiles. We're doing the random block on the waterline and 1x2 lining the stairs.

Currently scheduled about 10 weeks out.

Attachments

• seacrest-tile.jpg
    seacrest-tile.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 32
So the Luv Seacrest tiles are discontinued. Despite being listed as 🌟NEW🌟 in their 2021 catalog. (Going to assume sourcing issues?)

We were debating between a few and settled on the Luv Riviera:

Runners up were Aquabella Night Life Ballad and NPT Soleil Cleo:

For the stairs, our original plan was to line the stairs in the same tile, just 1x2 instead of block. However, we're currently entertaining the idea of doing Pebbletec Fire Opal pendants instead. Opinions? Here's a random picture of what they might look like:

We decided to stick with the Luv Riviera for the stairs. We liked the idea of adding some color, but decided to keep the permanent parts of the design to a more classic scheme. We'll find way to add some color via accessories.

Project manager came by yesterday to introduce himself and review the project. He already has the hydroblasting scheduled for August 10th, so draining will start a few days before that. I had been successfully not thinking about this project for a while, so now I'm all busy reading and watching about pools again :rolleyes:

Demo completed today! We're supposedly still on track for end of August complete date, but the limiting factor is the plaster. Next step is probably tile, because that's when they get their next check. Then equipment after that.

Probably time to order my TF test kit!

20210810_132401-33.png
20210810_132324-33.png

I didn't take any pictures, but the cause of the delamination issue was pretty obvious once the pool was drained and I was able to take a closer look. There looked to be two layers of plaster. The older, lower layer looked proper. The more recent layer was *maybe* 1/4" thick, and was absolutely just delaminating and falling apart everywhere. I was able to blast parts of it away with my very weak electric pressure washer even. Also found out, via said pressure washer, that they directly applied that thin plaster on top of tile on the top edge of each stair. The lead demo guy got to the site early and tested to see if that original plaster was OK, but he said it came off way too easy with his hammer. So full chip out ensued, which I'm perfectly OK with.

Also, that picture is maybe an hour after they pulled their pump and left. The groundwater here is flowing like crazy right now. The little pump the PB left is outputting a normal garden hose worth of water and it cannot keep up. I've been using it to water my plants though, so it's not all wasted!

Pool tile is in! This happened late last week, just getting to posting it now. I think they look better than I had ever imagined! They also did a great job matching the grouting to the deck. I think it's slightly lighter now that it's dryer, but still very close. Just to save future anyone from scrolling up, these are the Luv Tile Riveria, RIV-BR51 (block random) for the walls and RIV-1251 (1x2) for the stairs.

20210819_152103-33.png

20210819_152112-33.png

Equipment is supposed to happen this week, then new surface next week. Moving fast now!

PB is having trouble sourcing equipment. Apparently the plaster sub they use works on a weekly schedule. So the project manager can shift my job to later in the week and hopefully sneak in equipment earlier in the week.

I need a filter before plaster and fill, but the SWG can wait as long as they plumb for it. And I don't think they're having trouble with lights right now.

We'll see what happens!

Well it's Tuesday and no progress. At this point, I'm guessing that there's a roughly 0% chance of being done by the end of the week. Mostly sad just because things had been going well so far. But then again, up until now, everything done hasn't had any shortages that I know of. Our tile was ordered and delivered a couple months ago. (Also, Luv Tile is just a little south of Tampa Bay, so relatively local.) And I haven't heard of any skimmer sourcing issues. Guess it's our turn to join the pool parts waiting list...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, by some miracle, equipment was delivered to my house today! And it's even the right equipment!

The workers bailed after waiting a bit to see if the rain would clear. Good call on their part; it hasn't let up all day.

Probably will still not be getting plaster this week, but looking really good for next week as long as the weather cooperates!

Reactions: TampaKathy
I was supposed to get equipment this week too but based on the forecast for today thru Friday, they've already moved it to next week.
Not surprised. They're back out today to see what they can get done, so points for perseverance. Personally, I'd rather work in the clounds and rain than the blazing sun, but to each their own I suppose!

I took pictures of all the equipment serial numbers on the boxes.

I need to get around to testing my fill water, now since my TF test kit came in.

Reactions: TampaKathy
Busy couple days! More pictures! New equipment, new return line, and Bond Kote! Plaster and electrician is scheduled for next week.

This is literally the first time I've had a proper filter. Before we had a cartridge that sat in the ground under the skimmer, on the suction side. I'd be elbow deep in the skimmer to remove the cartridge. I told my project manager that I know I'm getting old when seeing a pool filter installed gives me joy.

I'll be watching that dark spot at the bottom of the stairs. I'm hoping it was just leftover water from draining again this morning. But if it doesn't dry over the weekend, they'll have to come back and water proof it before the plaster.

They also set up this thing, I forget what he called it. But it's keeping the pool dry by using elevation to release the ground water pressure before pumping it out. Pretty cool! And yes, it did have to be that tall to not just be spewing out water like a fountain. The groundwater has been no joke. This is the first time the bottom of the pool has been dry for more than the few hours spent working on it.

20210902_150649.jpg20210902_150834.jpg20210903_160420.jpg20210903_160435.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TampaKathy and KBR
Forgot to mention that I'm really happy they put in that new return line without cutting the deck. It's not very wide, about 3 feet. So they dug down next to the deck, then either used a mallet to drive the pipe through the couple feet of dirt or used a water jet to move the dirt out. A+ either way.

So the surface prep guys missed one of the holes that was drilled for groundwater. They noticed when water started coming up again after they took their pump out. Attempted to plug it, but it's now weeping. None of the other plugged holes are weeping. Additionally, for not even completely plugging the hole, there's now a copious hump of the hydraulic concrete there from the attempt. So I think I'm going to be asking the project manager tomorrow to have someone come back out, pump the water level back down, grind down the concrete, and redo the plug for the hole. I wasn't super happy with the hump of concrete, but would have lived with it. But both weeping *and* a hump of concrete seems too far.

Opinions? Don't know names well enough but maybe @jimmythegreek or @mknauss can chime in or point me to someone who could?

20210906_085922.jpg20210906_085936.jpg

And while they're out, may as well through some hydraulic concrete on the weep by the stairs too...

20210906_085854.jpg

Concrete is not waterproof and you clearly have a high water table. The plugs in the holes don't have the thickness of the gunite shell so the water has less concrete to weep through. They need to try and tamp down the hydraulic cement in the hole to create a thick plug versus just putting a layer on the surface.

You need to discuss with your builder how much weeping is acceptable to plaster over.

Thanks ajw. As I mentioned, none of the other drill holes they plugged are weeping. There were four or five if them. So it seems their normal technique is sufficient. It's just that they missed this one until after they stopped their pump and water started flowing out of it again, so they couldn't get the patch cement into the hole very well.

I suspect that the weeping is not enough to stop the plaster. But given that it's weeping at all, and I'm pretty sure it will leave a noticable bump even after plaster. I feel like it's appropriate to ask them to redo it?

Just got off the phone with the project manager, and he plans to send a tech out to fix up the two spots before the plaster crew starts. I think that makes a lot of sense, as they should be very easy fixes, and most of the time is going to be spent waiting for pumping ground water. And the plaster crew will need to do that anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.