Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2021
South East Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I tested my pool water with the TFT test kit for the first time and asking for help in understanding the results and what to do next. Below is what I found.

FC - 7 ppm (14 drops X 0.5)
CC - After adding 5 drops of R00003 the solution remained clear so that means no CC's if I understand the directions correctly
Calcium Hardness - 150 ppm (6 drops X 25)
TA - 130 (13 drops X 10) Question: Why do you wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth?
CYA - 80 ppm

Daily Test done today: Chlorine 5ppm and pH 7.2

I used the Taylor Speed Stir for mixing. I took my time and followed the instructions carefully. I think I performed all tests accurately.

Please review this information and let me know what you think.
I final question is that do I record this information no in the Pool Math App

Thank you in advance for any help. It will most likely be late tonight or tomorrow before I can get back to this.

Results? .... OUTSTANDING! :goodjob: You did great. Your CYA is a bit elevated, but that should drop over time as long as you aren't using any tablets. If so, remove them and stick to the liquid. A pH of 7.2 is as low as you want to go, but it should rise on its own as well. Other than that, your numbers are in great shape. Be sure to monitor your FC to the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae.

Reactions: vantiem5
Great job. Enter your results in Poolmath. Do not enter the chlorine reading from the 'daily' kit (OTO).

Your CYA is higher than you really want as Pat says. So when possible, use rain water to drain and refill some. Use liquid chlorine from now on. You can use cal hypo also as your CH is not an issue.

I do use the 3" tablets in an automatic chlorinator. I will discontinue using them as of today. I will have time tomorrow on lunch break to watch the video on how to enter results in Pool Math. So for now it sounds like I do nothing as far as adding anything to the pool and check the water again next Sunday is that correct? Thank you Texas Splash and mknauss for your replies.

So for now it sounds like I do nothing as far as adding anything to the pool and check the water again next Sunday is that correct?
No - you add liquid chlorine each day to keep your FC at or above Target level for your CYA based on the FC/CYA Levels. Test the FC daily and add the amount of liquid chlorine needed.

Thank you mknauss for the Pool Math Video Link. That is great information and I used to complete my first log. One of the things I noticed in the Pool Math App is that for raising the pH level it calls for adding Borax (20 Mule). I have not used Borax ever before that I am aware of. The Pool Store that I go to with water samples when things seem incorrect always has me add Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. The Pool Store also did the install of my pool. Can you please explain to me the difference between Borax and Baking Soda and why to use one or the other. Please understand that this is not a challenge to your advice in any way. This is so that I understand for my own sake.

Thank you mknauss for the Pool Math Video Link. That is great information and I used to complete my first log. One of the things I noticed in the Pool Math App is that for raising the pH level it calls for adding Borax (20 Mule). I have not used Borax ever before that I am aware of. The Pool Store that I go to with water samples when things seem incorrect always has me add Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. The Pool Store also did the install of my pool. Can you please explain to me the difference between Borax and Baking Soda and why to use one or the other. Please understand that this is not a challenge to your advice in any way. This is so that I understand for my own sake.
Baking soda raises TA a lot and pH a little. Borax Raises pH a lot and TA a little.

As to your question about wiping the bottle, static electricity can affect the size of the drops, making them smaller, and give an artificially inflated TA reading. Wiping the bottle as indicated discharges that static electricity.

Can you please explain to me the difference between Borax and Baking Soda and why to use one or the other.
Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
Borax = Big pH change, small TA change
Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change. Probably more TA change than you want.

Using Pool Math and the above replies I think this is what I do next.

FC: Per Pool Math directions I add one gallon of 6% bleach.
PH: I'm confused on this one because of the instructions for TA. For pH Pool Math says to add 13 lbs of Borax (20 mule) which I can do to raise the pH but I am not sure if I should do that.
TA: Pool Math says "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0/7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH." My pH is already at 7.2 so it is in the range that I am being told to reduce to.

It seems like I should not add Borax to raise the pH but instead aerate to raise the pH which I don't know what that means. Can someone please help me out on this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't need to add anything but chlorine right now to maintain your proper FC level. The last pH of 7.2 is still within acceptable levels and you can expect it to rise slowly on its own. Once you see the pH eventually rise to about 7.8 to 8.0, you'll use acid to lower the pH and that will slowly lower the TA as well. For now you're in good shape.

Results of second pool test using TFT kit

FC - 4ppm
CC - solution remained clear so no CC
TA - 130
CYA - 90

Daily Chlorine Test = 5
Daily pH = 7.5

What I plan to do....

Pool Math says to add 2 gallons of 10% bleach so I will do that.
Following last weeks advice I will do nothing other that add the bleach.
I plan to wait until someone replies before I add the bleach.

I wish I would have found this site years ago.

You are the under the Minimum for your CYA level - so add FC immediately. The minimum is described often like a cliff. You don’t wan to even GET CLOSE TO IT. You should be around 10 in FC at all times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.