Requirements for Install

nock

Jul 20, 2020
Sacramento Valley
Hi all. I'm a newbie here and I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but I can't find a thread on it. In any case, we are considering a new pool (would prefer fiberglass) and our local installer has a "prebuild FAQ" that says they require no less than 8 feet of clearance from the house in order to get machines in to dig a pool hole. Our home only has 5-7 feet of clearance between the house and the fenceline. As far as I can tell, this is pretty typical for our area and California in general (especially for newer subdivisions). Does anyone know if this is a general rule of thumb or just this installer? I'm not sure if it matters, but the pool we would want would be on the smaller size.

Welcome to TFP.

There are Bobcats and mini-excavators that are a lot less then 8 feet wide. Talk to other installers.

@jimmythegreek what width access do you need for dig equipment?

Can be done with smaller machines but it will cost more as the dig will take longer. Also will cost more if they will have to use a crane to hoist the fiberglass pool shell over your house and into your backyard.

My little machine has retractable tracks amd gets thru 4ft gates...but the bucket is tiny. They cam dig a pool anywhere a good size mini amd a skidsteer need 6ft can downsize for 5ft if needed just more trips as said above. Just coats a little more, it helps if you have great neighbors on one side at least. I worked in the city on a rowhouses with no access. The addition was dug by hand with a bucket line thru the house and took several days, was amazing to watch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.