el duderino

Jun 15, 2008
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had a lot of issues priming my single speed 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo pump over the years and have had the inlets and outlets replumbed several times. The last plumber hard plumbed the pipes not leaving much (any) room to splice in again that I can see.

I'm considering putting a union back on the outlet side to stop the leaking that is currently happening, but not sure how/where to splice in.

Any suggestions are very welcomed!

e23962adcf65b077d60a40b9cdd0ff4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps, there is not a union there now. It is self bonding tape which I applied to attempt to slow/stop the leak. It did not work btw :)

I can't tell from the picture whether the 3 way valve is connected with an internal or an external coupling. Those valves are dual-sized, so if it's internal, just saw it off at the valve and replace that whole L-shaped section. Put a larger coupling, then a reducer, and go. Or stay larger until after the elbow, then reduce at the pump.

el,

I think it should be a crime to install pumps without pump unions... :p

I'd install this basic type which has an O-Ring on the threaded side....

I'd cut the pipe up near the valve where you have the most 2" pipe exposed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I can't tell from the picture whether the 3 way valve is connected with an internal or an external coupling. Those valves are dual-sized, so if it's internal, just saw it off at the valve and replace that whole L-shaped section. Put a larger coupling, then a reducer, and go. Or stay larger until after the elbow, then reduce at the pump.

It's plumbed external on that part of the 3-way:-(

el,

I'd install this basic type which has an O-Ring on the threaded side....

I'd cut the pipe up near the valve where you have the most 2" pipe exposed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I agree! I have some of those very unions on the way just not sure how I'm gonna make it work. I'm not sure there's enough 2" exposed to connect union.

el,

Jim I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!

I've noticed, the last 2 big services I've had done (replaced multiport and heater) both
service techs installed unions. (thank god!)

I see a new pool build with no unions on the pumps or heater and think what the heck!?!

I would insist on unions for a new build for sure.

I also wonder if I cut as close to the valve as possible, if the internal connection would be open. I may need to go take some measurements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.