Replastering pool

kichi

Sep 2, 2013
Pool Size
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on replastering my pool. My plaster is very old at this point (probably more than 20 years). I also have a leak in the pool. Got a pool builder today who suggested fiberglass instead of plaster. He said that fiberglass has more give, so better for leaks. They also have a longer warranty (5 years) vs 3 years on plaster. Does that make sense? Looking to run it by folks who know a lot more about pools than I do :)

Secondly, if anyone has any recommendations for pool builders in the San Francisco bay area, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I just had my pool replastered. I used a mini pebble finish with a life time warranty. 3 years on plaster sounds like a cheap marble plaster. Go with a pebble or quartz based plaster. Not sure about the fiberglass. I dont know anyone who used fiberglass in ther pool remodel. I would get a lot more estimates and see what the consensus is.

I just had my pool replastered. I used a mini pebble finish with a life time warranty. 3 years on plaster sounds like a cheap marble plaster. Go with a pebble or quartz based plaster. Not sure about the fiberglass. I dont know anyone who used fiberglass in ther pool remodel. I would get a lot more estimates and see what the consensus is.
I am curious as to which pebble product gave you a lifetime warranty?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on replastering my pool. My plaster is very old at this point (probably more than 20 years). I also have a leak in the pool. Got a pool builder today who suggested fiberglass instead of plaster. He said that fiberglass has more give, so better for leaks. They also have a longer warranty (5 years) vs 3 years on plaster. Does that make sense? Looking to run it by folks who know a lot more about pools than I do :)

Secondly, if anyone has any recommendations for pool builders in the San Francisco bay area, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sounds like a fiberglass dealer with a better margin on the fiberglass install. People can talk about how long plaster lasts, but I have pool that still functions with plaster that is 42 years old. Yes, it's in poor shape but it's not leaking. I'm replastering after this season too.

Got some more clarity on the fiberglass recommendation. We have a crack in the pool and the pool builder thinks it might be structural due to settling on one side of the pool. Apparently fiberglass is more flexible in case the pool continues to settle, so will prevent against a future leak for longer. Getting even more confused now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.