Replastering a gunite pool

Jul 27, 2017
Lakeland, FL
Not sure if this is the correct subforum .....

Pool built in 2005, we moved in 2017. Have 4 small chips/divots in our plaster roughly 1/8-1/4" diameter where you can see the gunite
underneath. Otherwise the outer plaster is in good shape.

I read that gunite is not watertight and have noticed that water loss has increased very slightly over our normal evaporation (live in Florida)

Given that overall the plaster is in good shape, if no other chips occur is there an urgent need to replaster?

Hoping to put it off for 1-2 years if possible.

Thanks in advance

We were just in Lakeland this week. We like that town a lot!

Those small chips should have virtually no affect on your water level. How much are you losing?

In Florida, in excess of 1/4" daily is time to look for a leak. Are you losing that much?

The need to replaster the entire pool is not urgent but the exposed Shotcrete needs to be corrected.
The Shotcrete will absorb water and if the rebar inside is exposed to the water it will start to rust and may make its way to the surface as a stain but more importantly it will over time weaken the rebar and thus weaken the integrity of the shell.

We were just in Lakeland this week. We like that town a lot!

Those small chips should have virtually no affect on your water level. How much are you losing?

In Florida, in excess of 1/4" daily is time to look for a leak. Are you losing that much?
Been in Lakeland 5 years now and love it. Growing a little too fast, infrastructure needs a boost to help support the population growth.

Water loss is roughly that 1/4" a day. maybe a tiny bit more. Our pool is open air, no cage and gets direct sunlight virtually all day. We did have a leak at the skimmer about a year ago that I patched.

Think to be safe I'll leak test skimmer, returns etc this weekend

Thanks

The need to replaster the entire pool is not urgent but the exposed Shotcrete needs to be corrected.
The Shotcrete will absorb water and if the rebar inside is exposed to the water it will start to rust and may make its way to the surface as a stain but more importantly it will over time weaken the rebar and thus weaken the integrity of the shell.
Thanks, did not realize that. I will get the chips patched/filled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.