Cantabrigienne

Apr 13, 2021
Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Ok, apparently I’m learning EVERYTHING about pool problems all at once, because everything is going wrong. Our brand new pool plaster is covered in stains due to a lackluster startup, and they’ve been recommending an acid wash to fix it. But today PB came over with a little acid pump sprayer to test out on the stains. And it did nothing. No effect on the stains. Now he is mentioning a replaster but is saying they would just put some kind of bond coat and chip out around the jets/lights. Is that ok? I know nothing about replastering but thought it was supposed to get chipped out? The plaster is 5 weeks old. 🙃

Here is the deal - you can put a new layer of plaster on an old one if the old layer has good adhesion. The new layer is only as good as it's base. But then the next time in 10 years or so you will need to do a chipout to replaster. So do you want to spend that card now to save your PB the chipout cost or save it for your future replaster job?

Ok, apparently I’m learning EVERYTHING about pool problems all at once, because everything is going wrong. Our brand new pool plaster is covered in stains due to a lackluster startup, and they’ve been recommending an acid wash to fix it. But today PB came over with a little acid pump sprayer to test out on the stains. And it did nothing. No effect on the stains. Now he is mentioning a replaster but is saying they would just put some kind of bond coat and chip out around the jets/lights. Is that ok? I know nothing about replastering but thought it was supposed to get chipped out? The plaster is 5 weeks old. 🙃
If the plaster is only 5 weeks old, I’d want to know what happened to the original plaster before covering it up since it’ll likely happen again if they don’t do anything different.

Here is the deal - you can put a new layer of plaster on an old one if the old layer has good adhesion. The new layer is only as good as it's base. But then the next time in 10 years or so you will need to do a chipout to replaster. So do you want to spend that card now to save your PB the chipout cost or save it for your future replaster job?
That’s kind of my feeling too, and I mentioned that. He just said they never chip out the old plaster...??? He said that would take “weeks” and basically seemed to say it’s never done that way. Is that a possibly a regional thing?

If the plaster is only 5 weeks old, I’d want to know what happened to the original plaster before covering it up since it’ll likely happen again if they don’t do anything different.
Yeah...they can’t quite figure out what happened. He’s tried every stain remover and also got a little acid pump which didn’t do anything to the stains. I think it’s some kind of curing discoloration. He thinks dirt just got deeply embedded in the new plaster...?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.