mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I feel like I can't say I'm new here anymore. been a little over 6 months. Pool water is perfectly balanced thanks to you guys. My next issue/concern. When I bought the house the old owners said they havnt done anything with the pool in 10 years. Plaster is chipping. there's black stains, brown stains. lots of discoloration. Apparently the price of plaster has skyrocketed along with everything else and I was quoted 25k for a replaster with mini pebble, new tile and new coping. So my question:
Is pebble really better? I've heard it can be "rough" on feet. the price different isn't too much so it seems pebble is the way to go but I don't want it to be uncomfortable. My wife wants a "dark plaster" so the sun will heat it. not sure of that will actually work or not. I know this is a big expensive commitment so I want to make sure I'm happy with the outcome. Is 25k too much? it's a smaller pool ~11k gal. odd shaped 13x32 but tapers down to ~9 ft. Should I just go classic white plaster? what are pro/cons with plaster vs pebble? are there other options?
TIA

Is pebble really better?

Better then what?

There are a wide range of pool finishes from basic plaster to quartz to polished marble to various sizes of pebble finishes.

I have Hydrazoo which is a polished marble finish. Harder then plaster, seems to last longer, much smoother then pebble.

I've heard it can be "rough" on feet.

You need to get into a pebble pool and decide for yourself. Many folks have tougher feet then I do. The Hilton in Cabo has a pebble pool and after being in that O said I would never have a pebble pool. Now there is mini pebble and other pebbles that are supposed to be smoother.

I think a lot of people put up with the pebble roughness because they already spent the money ir they are willing to trade discomfort for promised longevity. I am not willing to compromise my pool enjoyment.

the price different isn't too much so it seems pebble is the way to go but I don't want it to be uncomfortable.

Try it before you buy it.

My wife wants a "dark plaster" so the sun will heat it.

Be aware that darker colors are more prone to mottling You will have a pool with unique "character".

not sure of that will actually work or not. I know this is a big expensive commitment so I want to make sure I'm happy with the outcome. Is 25k too much?

The price is whatever your local contractors are willing to do it for. Get a few bods. Prices vary widely around the country.

Should I just go classic white plaster? what are pro/cons with plaster vs pebble? are there other options?

Read above and...

I can say I got a quote to replaster ours (before covid) at about $10k. I’m trying to get the same company out to requote in a few weeks. Will post up the difference. It’s a basic white plaster.

I swam in a pebble pool ~20 years ago and didn’t like it. Seemed to be rough on my feet.

My folks have a dark plaster pool and it does get some mottling and tends to fade over time. If it does heat the water any, I never noticed it growing up in CA. They used a solar heating system but it was rarely running due to leaks.

Reactions: mrjetson707
That seems high to me. I just finished a replaster/re-tile job (kept existing coping) on my pool (18x38 ~17K gal 3.5-5.5-3.5 play pool). We chose white plaster (wife insisted no pebble). Original white plaster lasted over 30 years but I'm told to expect new plaster to last at most half of that. We added 2 handrails, split main drain, a few structural repairs to the gunite shell, and some decorative turtle and dolphin inlays on 2 sets of steps. With full chip-out (a must!!!) and startup service, it totaled $16.5K. I'm in SoCal and it took 2 weeks start to water-fill. I had 2 bids and the other was within a couple of hundred bucks from the builder that I chose.

Reactions: SLUBOPOOL and kul
I have a regular pebble finish. If all you're doing is walking on it, it's not bad at all. When you get kids playing games, it will cause raw feet. If your knee or elbow rubs up against the pebble while swimming, it will result in an abrasion. There are other pebble finishes that are not as abrasive, but likely more expensive.

You can also tint standard plaster to get a color and minimal cost. It will mottle, but we didn't mind that at all. They used Diamond Brite Onyx in the mix. But you get color, low (relatively) cost, and super smooth finish. And a good lifespan if you manage your water quality. Ours is still quite smooth after 9 year and looks great.

Here's the discussion in our build thread. I have heard of VERY few other folks doing this but it's a viable option. My PB and I had a very good relationship and he was happy to share all options with us.

Pool Build - Baltimore

That seems high to me. I just finished a replaster/re-tile job (kept existing coping) on my pool (18x38 ~17K gal 3.5-5.5-3.5 play pool). We chose white plaster (wife insisted no pebble). Original white plaster lasted over 30 years but I'm told to expect new plaster to last at most half of that. We added 2 handrails, split main drain, a few structural repairs to the gunite shell, and some decorative turtle and dolphin inlays on 2 sets of steps. With full chip-out (a must!!!) and startup service, it totaled $16.5K. I'm in SoCal and it took 2 weeks start to water-fill. I had 2 bids and the other was within a couple of hundred bucks from the builder that I chose.
what company? are they only out of socal? I can't seem to find many companies. Found a local guy that wants 30k and burketts was 25k. I have a smaller pool than you and not adding decorative stuff. I need the split main drain and potentially some gunite repair. I feel like my quote should be less than your 16.5k. and I guess maybe could you tell me the other 2 companies you got quoted from. One of them has to service the east bay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.