Replaster, how many layers are OK?

tolian21

Mar 27, 2019
NJ
Hi,

I had my pool replastered. The new coat went on top of two existing coats. The contractor cut under tiles and pipe fittings, applied bond coat and then new plaster on top. He said he checked all existing plaster and it was in good shape (no delimitation/hollow).
I read conflicting opinions, some say that two existing layers is too much, and full chip out would significantly increase the cost and potentially a risk of damaging gunnite

The bigger concern would be the integrity of the layers below. It seems like you're inviting the risk of delamination. When we redid our plaster a few years ago we had the old surface sandblasted off to the raw gunite. The advantages were that we were able to visually inspect the 40+ year old structure (looked like new) and knew that we were starting with a clean slate. The sandblasting added $1,500 to the overall cost but was well worth it.

The bigger concern would be the integrity of the layers below. It seems like you're inviting the risk of delamination. When we redid our plaster a few years ago we had the old surface sandblasted off to the raw gunite. The advantages were that we were able to visually inspect the 40+ year old structure (looked like new) and knew that we were starting with a clean slate. The sandblasting added $1,500 to the overall cost but was well worth it.
Yeah, unfortunately I made a mistake without clarifying this first before signing a contract. I also read that it seems regional, and in some northeast areas like NJ dont want to do it. The contractor is from well established pool company and said he did number of pools with two layers with no issues. I am sure if he wanted to profit, he would advise me to do it.

The prices here are crazy expensive for pools. I am sure it would be a lot of money to add complete chip out.

Yeah, unfortunately I made a mistake without clarifying this first before signing a contract. I also read that it seems regional, and in some northeast areas like NJ dont want to do it. The contractor is from well established pool company and said he did number of pools with two layers with no issues. I am sure if he wanted to profit, he would advise me to do it.

The prices here are crazy expensive for pools. I am sure it would be a lot of money to add complete chip out.

As noted, our sandblast was fairly priced (took about 4 hours and left a spotlessly clean gunite shell). A chip out would likely be as or more expensive depending on the labor involved.

As noted, our sandblast was fairly priced (took about 4 hours and left a spotlessly clean gunite shell). A chip out would likely be as or more expensive depending on the labor involved.
unfortunately here prices are expensive, it cost me $14K for 25g pool to put polished stones capes.

.. and that's without chipout, I got 3 layers now! to be honest, existing layer was good and solid, it just got stained and pitted in number of places and we got tired of how it looks and wanted fresh look and color. Its not like I waited until it became un-usable, so I am really hoping there are no issues with 3 layers. The contractor said they checked for hollow spots everywhere, and found nothing. keeping my fingers crossed. The new finish looks beautiful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.