Replacing Small Gas Heater with Heat Pump

SlowSwimmer

Jun 9, 2020
Lafayette, CA
I'm a long-time pool person, new to TFP (born-again on TFP chemistry) and I would appreciate advice. I have an outdoor Endless Pool, which we have been using year around here in No. California. I've replaced and rebuilt the original 55k BTUH Raypak natural gas heater several times - at this point you can't buy a new one, but you can still get parts. I've lost interest in pushing more money at it. Any new gas heater would be at least twice the size, and since it is fed with an undersized gas line running right across the heart of my landscaped back garden (and/or shredding extensive drip irrigation), I'd have to upgrade my gas service from standard 7" WC to 2 psig to be able to feed it.

Rather than invest in that, I'd rather make use of the fact that the Endless Pool has a 5HP "motive pump", which hydraulically drives the swim current. That same 30A breaker-and-buried-line could (when I'm not swimming) power a new heat pump. I might not get enough heat for January and February here in the Bay Area, but I figure I could get a respectable 9 or 10 months a year of swimming. (Yeah, I've tried swimming in 70 degree water with a shorty wet suit - not for me.)

There are a few heat pumps sized to run on a 30A 240V service. So far I'm looking at an AquaCal TropiCal T55 and a Raypak R2450. Any suggestions/comments?

There are a few heat pumps sized to run on a 30A 240V service. So far I'm looking at an AquaCal TropiCal T55 and a Raypak R2450. Any suggestions/comments?

I think HPs are a commodity with little differentiation between manufacturers. What seems to be a problem is finding service for a pool HP. Many AC companies will not work on them. Find out who can service which models locally.

Gas heaters are pretty simple to repair compared to a HP. And obtaining the specialized parts for a HP seem to be more of a problem then gas heater parts.

Get the HP that can best be serviced in your area.

Reactions: SlowSwimmer
Yes, definitely using a DPDT switch, with indicator LEDs, to be clear as to what is energized.

I flirted with the idea of a time delay relay with DPDT 240V contacts and a momentary push button, so that the heat pump would be de-energized for, say, an hour and the part of the circuit powering the motive pump would correspondingly be energized for that hour. That would be more convenient, as I couldn't accidentally leave the DPDT in the wrong position. But it's a LITTLE bit more complex, a little bit less stunningly obvious if an inspector should ever look at it.

I don't know where the code is on this. I would prefer to do this with a permit, but my contractor candidates are looking into the code side of it now.

I of course have zero interest in doing something that is not absolutely safe and robust. I would prefer it to be within code, and actually under permit, but, well, we'll see...

I think HPs are a commodity with little differentiation between manufacturers. What seems to be a problem is finding service for a pool HP. Many AC companies will not work on them. Find out who can service which models locally.

Gas heaters are pretty simple to repair compared to a HP. And obtaining the specialized parts for a HP seem to be more of a problem then gas heater parts.

Get the HP that can best be serviced in your area.
This right here is SOLID advice. I’ve had nothing but issues since my install and It took awhile for Hayward to find someone to service their product. Reading I had done after I already purchased on here Rayvok seems to be the winner and what I will purchase down the road probably when my warranty is up
On this one

I do love our heat pump when it’s working though! We now all complain of water is below 87 degrees lol my children have no idea how spoiled they are lol

Reactions: SlowSwimmer
Thank you much for the recommendation to look for local service> Makes a lot of sense.

It's surprising that so many pool folk here in No. Cal back away making jazz hands when you ask about a heat pump - or maybe because this one is so small? Anyway, I ordered the smallest Raypak.

I was talking about a dpdt switch with a center "off" position. It would throw one way for the heater and another way for the pump with a center off position. The pump and the heater could not be powered at the same time and you could turn both off with the center position.

This is the type of switch that I was talking about. It is just like a light switch. The website gives downloadable dimensions, wiring diagrams and instruction sheet. It can be loaded to 80% just like a 30A breaker and will switch between load "A" or load "B" with the center "off" position powering neither load "A" nor load "B". I think it is widely available. https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1288

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.