kohlzor

Apr 25, 2020
Shrewsbury, MA
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hey folks,
I have two single speed pumps right now one for the pool and the other for deck jets. I want to replace the pump with a variable speed pump. I also have aqua link Rs that I use to control the Equiptment from a panel inside the house. If I replace my pump with a variable speed will I be able to just drop it in and will the aqua link rs let me control speed from panel or will that have to be on the pump itself?
Also anything to consider when picking a variable speed pump? My pool had 32,000 gallons and SWG.
Cheers

Then you have VS support. Best to get Jandy VS pumps.

I haven't been able to locate a Jandy VS Pump. One of the local pool shops mentioned that I cant use any other VS pump like the Pentair or Hayward wont be able to communicate with the Jandy Iaqualink. Is this really the case?

Reactions: kohlzor
Not exactly.

It may depends what Rev level your Aqualink is.

Jandy Aqualink Installation Manual section 3.2.7 describes how to connect a Pentair Intelliflo pump to the Aqualink.

While the Aqualink RS can control an Intelliflo VS pump it cannot control the VF functions of a VSF pump.

Makes sense, probably why I can control my current Sta Rite fixed speed pump via iAquaLink. So that should be a straight swap and probably my best bet with the shortage in pumps currently.

Makes sense, probably why I can control my current Sta Rite fixed speed pump via iAquaLink. So that should be a straight swap and probably my best bet with the shortage in pumps currently.

You can use any single speed pump on any version of the Aqualink. It just uses a high voltage relay to turn power on and off.

In the United States, variable speed (VS) motors will be required for all pumps over 1.1 total HP as of July 18, 2021. Purchasing a single speed pump or a 2-speed pump now for a new pool is discouraged.

Jandy has published the following:

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has implemented new regulatory standards that require most classes of pool pumps manufactured or imported into the US beginning July 19, 2021 meet minimum energy-efficiency standards.

Important: All pumps that enter the US supply chain on or before July 18, 2021 are considered sellable inventory and can to be sold through to distribution and beyond. No product needs to be returned. The regulations only affect pumps manufactured or imported into the US on July 19, 2021 or later.

All Jandy pumps listed on this page are expected to meet the new regulations.

You can use any single speed pump on any version of the Aqualink. It just uses a high voltage relay to turn power on and off.

In the United States, variable speed (VS) motors will be required for all pumps over 1.1 total HP as of July 18, 2021. Purchasing a single speed pump or a 2-speed pump now for a new pool is discouraged.

Jandy has published the following:

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has implemented new regulatory standards that require most classes of pool pumps manufactured or imported into the US beginning July 19, 2021 meet minimum energy-efficiency standards.

Important: All pumps that enter the US supply chain on or before July 18, 2021 are considered sellable inventory and can to be sold through to distribution and beyond. No product needs to be returned. The regulations only affect pumps manufactured or imported into the US on July 19, 2021 or later.

All Jandy pumps listed on this page are expected to meet the new regulations.
And if I got a VS pump that wasn’t Jandy my understanding is I could still turn it off and on using iAquaLink just not control speed which I could set at the pump itself.

And if I got a VS pump that wasn’t Jandy my understanding is I could still turn it off and on using iAquaLink just not control speed which I could set at the pump itself.

You could but it is better for a VS pump to use the control panel on the pump to have it turn itself on and off on the schedule you want.

VS pumps are not made to be constantly powered on and off. Powering the VS pump and drive on and off may eventually glitch the drive which is expensive to replace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.