Replacing Pump

mlafleur

Sep 7, 2020
Kinder, LA
Can anyone recommend where to purchase a new pump or if I should just get the pool place to come out and do it? We have a Pentair WFE-26 1.5HP pump and recently were hit with 2 hurricanes and flooding. Now it sounds like our pump is screaming. The panel says to also check salt level (registering at 1500) and cell is not working. We've cleaned the cell. Water is green but began to clear up after adding shock yesterday. When I tested the water with the TF-100 kit, it is showing no chlorine. Our pool is 27K gallon liner in ground. I'm afraid I'm going to have to purchase a new pump so I thought I would reach out here first and get recommendations before we spend the money. Thanks!

If you are handy to replace it yourself you can go to www.inyopools.com
I have not used them but many on the forum reference to them for parts. They have large assortment of pumps or maybe you just need to purchase the motor for the existing pump. The alternative is to purchase a new variable speed pump but that may set you back $1200 or so and you may have other more pressing expenses with clean up after the 2 hurricanes. I do hope you and your family are doing well.

I would guess the first step in troubleshooting the salt cell situation would be to get a salt test kit and see if it tests close to what the cell is saying. K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

As far as your pump, if you want to save some $ and don't want to tackle a DIY repair, try to find an electric motor repair shop in your area. My local shop will replace bearings and the seal for $120ish

I don't know anything about the Pentair pumps but I rebuilt my old 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump in about 20 minutes with a $25 kit off of eBay. It really wasn't very difficult and the bearing just popped out of the housing with a hit from a punch. Ended up replacing the pump with a 1.4hp variable speed Waterway Defender bought from Inyo pools online. Our local power company currently has a $400 rebate for energy efficient products so it ended up costing me about $250. I really like the Waterway pump, it's built like a tank, made here in the USA, and is super quiet.

Reactions: Darin
In my limited experience the pump was pretty straight forward and each time only took about half an hour. Take photos as you go for reference and ensure the power is off! I have bought two pumps from amazon, the prices tend to fluctuate.

If I may, I would recommend you go with a new 1.67 hp VS motor.. The V-green is a wonderful motor that should be a direct fit for yours, buy a new seal kit with a saltwater seal and you are good to go.. took me about an hour to pull old motor off and install the new one :)

Just call and ask if your motor is a square or round flange, I do believe it is square...

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.