Replacing pump want to lower pressure

BeckyT

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2018
Salem, Ar
My pressure has always been around 20 psi. This is second summer to live here. The pump I have is nearly dead so I am ordering a new one tomorrow. The pool guy is planning to re-do my equipment pad because my plumbing is kind of crazy. He says I have way too many angles to the return when it should be more of a straight shot. Will decreasing the 90 degree turns lower my psi? I had planned to just replace pump with exact same one. Hayward super pump 1.5. There is a lot of pressure coming from return jets. Do I need a smaller pump? I have 33000 gallon inground pool. 20x 40 with 8 foot deep end.

My filter holds 500 pounds of sand. My plumbing is 1.5 inch.

Attachments

• 9ED207DA-DF1B-4B1D-908E-DC7BC4FD7C9F.jpeg
    9ED207DA-DF1B-4B1D-908E-DC7BC4FD7C9F.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 3
With no water features you could reduce the size of the motor. Or even better, have a two speed motor put on your existing pump.

You could order a motor from Inyopools and pay to have it installed.

You will see little drop in pressure from just removing a few tube turns in the plumbing.

I am not sure who I would pay to have install it. My brother has offered to install a new pump for me. He has worked on several above ground pool systems for his friends as well as his own. If I can get the pool place to do it and repair my equipment pad at the same time that would be ideal. But if it takes forever and a day I may have my brother give it a try.

I am pretty sure I just need a whole new pump. This one has some pretty bad corrosion and will burn you if you touch it while it’s running.

Attachments

• E8B63949-9D63-4C43-8AEA-383426F9C415.jpeg
    E8B63949-9D63-4C43-8AEA-383426F9C415.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 8
Your picture is of the motor. Not the pump.

I figured maybe your 'pool guy' would install the pump. But even better if your brother would -- bet he is cheaper!

The pool guy is planning to re-do my equipment pad because my plumbing is kind of crazy. He says I have way too many angles to the return when it should be more of a straight shot. Will decreasing the 90 degree turns lower my psi?

It's probably worth re-doing the plumbing - may not make a whole lot of difference but it should improve things some and reduce the stress on the new pump.

It's probably worth re-doing the plumbing - may not make a whole lot of difference but it should improve things some and reduce the stress on the new pump.

I backwashed last night and air released before the water came out. I also removed the eye fitting on the first return. My pressure is down to 15 now. The pump is still very noisy. But I am not as nervous as I was. Right now I have no shut offs. So new plumbing will be worth it to get some shut offs.

I appreciate all of the advice so much. I’m learning a lot just by reading other threads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.