Replacing pump vs replacing motor

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
My single speed 3/4hp pump (Hayward SP3207Z1BE) has been making a high pinch noise for about a month. Sounds like the bearings went bad. I asked a few pool equipment shops, and nobody provides a service to replace just the bearings. I am not sure how much replacing the bearings would cost me, but a new replacement motor runs for about $250 online plus $100 for the labor to replace it. When would make sense to invest more and replace the entire pump? Or should I keep looking for someone to replace just the bearings?

Attachments

• 20191228_163354.jpg
    20191228_163354.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 13
al,

The reason it's hard to get the bearings replaced is that normally the long bolts that hold the motor case together rust into the front flange and it takes more labor than it's worth to replace them unless they were lubed with anti-seize when the motor is new. So here are your options:

• Replace the motor only. (cheapest up front cost, most expensive long-term cost.
  • Replace the motor with a VS motor (they're available for most pumps). This is higher cost up front but will usually pay out in less than a year.
  • Replace pump and motor with a VS unit. Cost is highest, payout is still mostly in less than 2 years but there are advantages for automation especially if you have the same brand automation
If you replace just the motor be sure to replace the pump seal. It almost certainly failed which leaked water on the shaft and led to the bearing failure. If you buy a new motor lube the long bolts one at a time with anti-seize so you can just do a bearing replace next time.

I hope this helps.

Chris

A,,

As long as you have not been having any problems with the pump, then I'd say just replace the motor and shaft seal. If the pump is more than 10 years old, I would look at the cost to replace the whole pump and motor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
In California, you will not be able to replace that motor due to the law passed several years ago concerning pool pumps.. It is over a 1.1 THP and thus must be replaced with a multispeed/variable speed motor/pump.

I suggest you contact InyoPools to discuss what motor may be used to retrofit your pump to a multispeed configuration.

Reactions: setsailsoon
al,

As Marty said, try calling them. I've called them for help a couple of times. Very responsive. Just make sure you have the model number for the pump and motor you are replacing. Takes them a couple of minutes to respond. I've also done the same thing on a "chat" window with the same result. Never have done email and kind of surprised they didn't respond.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.