replacing pump have 1.5 inch plumbing; what size pump?

BeckyT

May 31, 2018
Salem, Ar
Wow! There is a lot to learn. So I am replacing my noisy, nearly dead Hayward superpump 1.5 hp. I have been researching because the pool place I use carries Jandy. The more I have been reading, the more concerned I get. I read that 1.5 inch plumbing should go with a smaller hp pump to avoid air problems. Is this correct? I already paid for the 1.5 flopro. But I am thinking I should call back and ask to size down. My pool is around 30,000 gallons. I run my current pump 4-6 hours a day.

The jandy has 2 inch plumbing, but they are going to adapt it to fit my 1.5 inch plumbing. Am I asking for more pump headaches because my plumbing is too small?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Is the 'flopro' a VS pump?

Besides, you had a 1.5hp pump, did you have issues?

VS pump you run only as high of rpm you need. I suspect for your pool you will be able to run it at a fairly low rpm.

BeckyT

May 31, 2018
Salem, Ar
The psi was always about 20. However, I increased the size of the first return eye and it is now 15. No other problems. I have a very large filter and I know it is capable of handling the pump. Not a VS. I'm pretty sure it a flopro. I was just reading online and panicked when I saw that 2 inch plumbing was recommended.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
A two speed pump would make a lot of sense for your situation. Would save you a lot in electricity costs.