Replacing Pool Pump for Sand Filter

Feb 25, 2022
Hello everyone. Super hopeful for some quick directional responses before the crazy spring buying begins.

I have an above ground pool that had the intex salt system sand filter combo pump 3000gph. Issue I had it the first season the first pump went in a month. They replaced it on warranty but we didn't get the new one until the swim season was over. Started the second pump up the next year and the same thing happened in less than two months. They refuse to replace it again. I sent them all the documents showing the electrical was done by a licensed electrician to their specifications on fixed points and nada. So, for season number 3, I am looking for a pump I can attach to the sand filter and use it with chlorine because index clearly stinks with their products now (had an intex salt system 12 years ago at old house that was amazing!)

I am having difficulty finding our best solution with a pump that will be reliable and not be over $300. Less is more $$$ please.

Suggestions that will reliably last and keep our pool clear with the sand filter? Thank you!

Yes, the Intex packages are convenient and economical, but reliability and longevity can be in issue. In your case you got neither. :brickwall: Can you post a pic or two of your set-up? It would help to see the equipment pad, what filter you have, and perhaps the pool as well. Be sure to update your signature too. See mine as an example. We'll give you some pump ideas based on those replies.

Reactions: WantPool2Work4Once
Yes, the Intex packages are convenient and economical, but reliability and longevity can be in issue. In your case you got neither. :brickwall: Can you post a pic or two of your set-up? It would help to see the equipment pad, what filter you have, and perhaps the pool as well. Be sure to update your signature too. See mine as an example. We'll give you some pump ideas based on those replies.
I will work to figure out changing the above. I have the Coleman above ground basket weave with windows and the screenshot system. Pool is about 7000 gallons if remembering correctly and everything is hard piped in, not the flex hose. The screenshot is of my system but not my system since it is dark here and I am hoping to order soon, lol. Want to try to use the sand filter on the left. The pump, basket and salt system controls on the right are separate from it when not hooked up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-213710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-213710_Chrome.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 11
So you have what appears to be a relatively small filter, maybe a 14" or 16" if I'm seeing it correctly? You would want to ensure a new stand-alone pump isn't too strong for that filter. Many variable speed pumps nowadays can be adjusted to a low rpm which is good. In addition, I'm not sure if you can just connect a different pump in front of that Intex salt generator. Some of those proprietary items are a bit tricky. I'm going to tag @jseyfert3 to see if he has any experience with your particular set-up. See what his thoughts are. Stay close as I'm sure others will reply as well. Maybe not on a Friday evening though like us. Ha. :)

Reactions: WantPool2Work4Once
The salt controller is in the right side pump. It is useless and will not be an active part of the system with the new pump. Thought is to replace the right side with a pump and use liquid chlorine moving forward. I am concerned out over powering the filter, but this system is rated at 3000gph so I thought a pump equal or a bit over would still work, just which one? If I am on the correct track that is. The sand filter is fairly tall (I am 5'10 and it hits mid thigh) and I *think* it held 4 of the big bags of sand but that was last year when I refilled it and definitely shouldn't be held to that.

You might find some old 2-speed pump deals out there so you can run on low speed most of the time like me, but variable speeds are today's thing. Checkout the Calimar brand. They have some relatively affordable VSP models compared to the big names that don't break the bank. Shop around though and I expect you'll see more replies tomorrow.

I've not upgraded my pump. It's worked through two seasons now without issues. So I don't have a lot of advice unfortunately There are however fittings you can get to adapt the Intex fittings to industry standard fittings though, I found some to adapt my Intex hoses to a Hayward skimmer on Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.