Replacing Perma Salt system

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I'm helping my family member open up a pool and see that it has the Perma Salt system. I've been reading, mostly on my phone (so it has been short) today and it seems that this is not a salt water system at all, eh?
Well, what to do next? We are slamming. They would just as soon go something easy like a real Salt Water system. I have this one (Amazon.com : Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro Self Cleaning Salt Chlorine Generator with Built In Timer for Inground and Aboveground Pools Up To 20, 000 Gallons. : Swimming Pool Chlorine Alternatives : Garden & Outdoor and it works well for me....

I thought I read in an old post somewhere that a system like this couldn't be converted to a SWG system. Can someone clear that up or give me any options? Alternatively- I've suggested that they and I read more about the PermaSalt system and attempt to limp along with it- I don't think they want to do that; but I'd be interested in knowing the costs/how it works. I can't even find a manual online for that.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Well, we know the Perma Salt uses copper so that's out. It needs to go unless your friends simply want to take a chance on the copper levels increasing to the point hair turns green and they get stains in the pool. I have no personal experience with that retrofit product. There are so many good and reliable standard SWG products on the market now, I would probably go with something more standard on today's' market. Below is a link with some great comparisons. Hope that helps.

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
Well, we know the Perma Salt uses copper so that's out. It needs to go unless your friends simply want to take a chance on the copper levels increasing to the point hair turns green and they get stains in the pool. I have no personal experience with that retrofit product. There are so many good and reliable standard SWG products on the market now, I would probably go with something more standard on today's' market. Below is a link with some great comparisons. Hope that helps.
Thanks for replying . I guess my question was... can I simply disconnect this PermaSalt and hook up a saltwater generator/system of any kind?