Replacing old single speed with variable speed pump - advice?

Aleila

Mar 19, 2018
South Florida
I am in South Florida and am replacing my old single speed ( 1 Hp,115/230, 55Y FR., 1PH, 3600 Rpm) pool pump with a variable speed pump.

I have:

8,500 gallon rectangular, in ground, gunite

1.5” pvc plumbing

Pentair Clean and Clear 100 Sq. F Filter

Great White automatic cleaner

No spa

No heater

I appreciate any recommendations on brands and models

Any heads up on installation etc.

Whether or not you’ve experienced signiificant energy savings

Thanks in advance.

Hi there Aleila :)

Great to see you here at TFP.... good question too!

My advice would be to consider a dual speed pump too. Just high and low. Costs a mess less than the variable yet the lower speed saves electricity too.

Maddie :flower:

A,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your pump upgrade questions... :shark:

I am a highly biased variable speed pump kind of guy... I love them... :thumleft:

That being said, in your case, I agree with Maddie that a 2-speed pump would be a better fit.

Variable speed pumps are great when you have automation, a Spa, or a number of water features that require the water flow to be different depending on the situation. In your case you would run on low most of the time to save money and on high only when you wanted to run your cleaner.

For all their positives, VS pumps have a couple of negatives. They cost significantly more to install and their electronics are subject to lightning strikes and power surges. You don't get those in Florida do you... :p 2-Speed pumps do not have these issues.

But... if you can't live without a VS pump, then I recommend the Pentair SuperFlo VS pump. Also keep in mind that you can't go too big with a VS pump because you only use the Horsepower that you need.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you Maddie,

I had not considered the two speed pump great idea!

I was kind of looking forward to the spectacular savings that I read about with the variable speed pump. Does that still hold true with the low-speed pump?

Do you recommend any particular brand
or model?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you Jim - you are right about the frequent lighting strikes and brown outs. I planned to have a surge protector installed to help.

I think the two speed is a great idea to look into especially since most of the pool guys in my area pooh-pooh VSPs. Not sure if it is because they don’t know much about them or because of the electronics — or what. The pool stores are enthusiastic about them but they could be biased... So there’s a disconnect.

Do you have any recommendations on good two speed pumps?

Thanks Jim.

A two speed saves about 75% in energy costs on low speed and a VS about 85%-90% at ~1000 RPM. A little more savings for a VS but if your electricity rates are not all that high, it would take a number of years to make up the difference in cost.

One cheaper option would be to just replace the motor of your current pump with a two speed motor. Assuming the pump wet end is still in good condition.

A,

Assuming your current pump is running off of 230 volts AC, then either of the following 2-speed pumps will work..

SuperFlo.. P/N 340042, SF-N2-1A, 1 HP, 2-speed, 230 volts, with 1.5" plumbing.. See this link... https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-superflo-pump-340042

or

WhisperFlo.. P/N 011486, WFDS-4, 1 HP, 2-speed, 230 volts, with 2" plumbing... See this link... https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-whisperflo-pump-011486

I used these links just to provide info.. I have no idea if there are better deals out there..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The Whisperflo is a much larger pump than the SuperFlo and will use about 50% more energy on both high and low speeds so not something I would recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.