Replacing old DE filter - need advice

tb40

Nov 9, 2017
Yorba Linda
Deleloped a crack in my Leslie's Cyrstal Clear II (Hayward DE-LE-42954) 48 sq foot DE pool filter housing and after reading a number of posts relalize that replacement is the only option. Here are my questions:

1) Are the inlet and outlet tube spacing / height / location on pool filters standard? Or is there a brand that I could buy that would be a direct replacement without cutting PVC?
2) Since I'm going to the trouble and cost of full replacement, should I switch to a more modern cartridge or filter type other than DE? I read the pool school filter comparison and am leaning towards the cartridge, but cost is a consideration.

Location is southern california, pool size is prob 20-30k gallon.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Plumbing spacing is only the same on like-branded filters. You would be very happy with a large-capacity cartridge filter. A Hayward filter may have the same fitting spacings but would not have a multi-port or push/pull valve and need to be replumbed anyway.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
A Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 or 520 cartridge filter would work well for your pool.
Hayward also makes cartridge filters in similar sizes.

And no more DE to mess with.

It's best to buy the biggest filter you can afford. More time between cleanings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.