Replacing liner. Before close or before open?

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I’ve had a heck of a year with my pool this year. Pump died on open, luckily fixed with capacitor replacement. Heater giving a SB error (stuck button), luckily fixed with new keypad, only to last two weeks and give me the SB error again. And then my liner leaking a ton. Found numerous holes and patched them and it continues to leak so I think I need to replace the liner.

My question is should I replace it before I close the pool or next year when I open it?

Thanks. Very frustrated.

If you wait until next Spring to replace the liner will it last and hold water over the winter? Or will it spring a leak, lose all the water, and possibly collapse the walls?

Based on the history you posted I would not risk the liner lasting the winter.

Replace the liner now.

If you wait until next Spring to replace the liner will it last and hold water over the winter? Or will it spring a leak, lose all the water, and possibly collapse the walls?

Based on the history you posted I would not risk the liner lasting the winter.

Replace the liner now.
Thanks for the reply. Not the answer I was hoping for but I understand. Any idea how difficult it is to do? I will be googling and YouTubing but figured I’d ask the pros.

If you have any helpful links I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Not the answer I was hoping for but I understand. Any idea how difficult it is to do? I will be googling and YouTubing but figured I’d ask the pros.

If you have any helpful links I’d appreciate it. Thanks
AG pool walls are made to hold back water and not be pulled in so I would definitely do it now. I've never done one but did watch the installers install my AG pools and I think if you have patience and some help it can be fairly easy to do. I watched YouTube to see how liners are installed and I think the biggest thing is prepping the area under the liner just like when it's installed. Both installers used a vacuum to get the air out between the pool wall and the liner, they ducted tape the skimmer opening and return hole and put the vacuum hose into one of them and sealed around it. I didn't see the last installers use one but the first had a PVC "T" with either towels or pool noodles on the end to help smooth out the liner once it's up and filling with water so they didn't have to go in the pool. Watching videos there seems to be a technique just using your feet a certain way. I would definitely use all new gaskets and treat any rust spots before putting in the liner. When our liner went 3 years ago I looked at our pool's interior and it was a little rusty on the bottom all around, a bit more rusty where the skimmer was but we lost the entire bottom track so we scrapped the pool.

If you watch videos they can give you an idea of what to do. They go step by step but they aren't showing the entire install just the important stuff.

Good luck with the install!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.