Replacing Heater need Gas Line Advice

tracy070

Nov 2, 2012
Mansfield, TX
I'm replacing my Raypak 399BTU heater and want to make sure I have everything lined up properly for a morning only job (fingers crossed). See attached photos of the existing line and need for a 20" line into the new heater. My question is:
  1. Which joint should I be removing to take out the old heater (placement and line of sight of existing line is right on)? Two pipe wrenches for counterclockwise turn on both joints (nut/pipe)?
  2. Should I be upgrading and enlisting professional help for the gas line since my existing joints seem to be archaic?
My new heater is the same, just 6 inches taller which will require a little pvc line adjustment which I have no problem with. Also hoping wiring will be fairly straight forward as well. both are Raypak 406A.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Use black pipe. You'll need a union to attach the pipe at both ends. (You currently don't have a dirt trap in the system - see if you can incorporate one.) It's not rocket science but you MUST make sure the connection don't leak!

charlieTX

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
I was very tempted to install my new heater myself, it isn’t complicated, but I opted to hire a professional given the costly consequences of making a simple mistake with those lines, I had everything ready for them to switch it out and the labor wasn’t expensive.