Replacing Hayward SuperPump II 1 HP

jgf310

Jul 30, 2016
Connecticut
My pump stopped working - i think the motor burned out.

I know I can replace the motor - but the delivery time is pretty long, and if i get a motor from my local Leslies, it's half the cost of a new pump, and i'd rather get a new pump - if i can get one delivered within a few days

If I switch to a variable speed pump from hayward, it seems I have two choices: 1.65 HP, which maybe is too big, or 0.85 HP, which is less than I have...

I have 2" plumbing, and I don't want to get a pump that has 1.5" connectors.

I have a System 3 cartridge filter, which says the max flow rate is 130 GPM. I think my pool is a little over 30,000 gallons.

So, can i just get the 1.65HP and set it I don't go above 130 GPM?

The great thing about VS pumps is you can run them at whatever RPM you want.. Most of the small ones are 1.65 hp to 1.85 hp.. the better ones are 2.7 to 3.0 hp..

The larger ones can be run at a lower RPM and move the same water = lower cost to run..

Here is a nice 3.0 HP VS for a great price.. :)

In the meantime make sure you add liquid chlorine to your pool and mix it about with a brush so that you don't get any algae while the pool pump is offline. You will lose some sparkle due to lack of filtering but you should be able to avoid algae this way. Add daily,

Maddie :flower:

also - looking at my setup with the super II pump, I see that while most of my plumbing is 2"- for example from the pool to the pump - the line from the pump to the filter is 2.5". It looks like the Super II pump has 2" in, and 2.5" out.

If I go with a CircuPool, I will have to replace the 2.5" line from the pump to the filter with 2"

Is there any problem with this?

I guess I figure if it's only 2" into the pump, having 2.5" out doesn't actually help that much.., or does it?

Would there be any reason (other than convenience) to keep using the 2.5" to the filter, and just put a 2.5" to 2" adapter at the pump?

thanks - appreciate the help...

Good Morning, The 1.5 hp will also work, I have the 1.65 and it works well.. the bigger one will move more water with less power and like mine the 1.5 will have to run at a higher RPM to move the same amount of water.. No issue at all.

The 2.5 inch pipe can be changed to 2 inch also with no issue.. I would just do the 2 to 2.5 inch adapter at the pump..

Use these unions on the pump, they work great :)

this one is the 2 inch to 2.5 inch

sorry, I have a V green.. I had a normal in ground 1 hp pump that I changed the motor on to the V green VS motor.. :)

Can you give Inyo a call and ask if you can change your motor out... I looked at your pump when we started down this and it looked like an above ground pump but maybe it can be changed.. If it can it will save you even more money and you can just change the motor out just like I did.. NO need to change any plumbing, just the motor.. :)

If you can get a salt or SCS seal and a tune up/ rebuild kit for your pump.... :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see that now, but for some reason when we started this I "thought" it was an above ground pump.. I have no idea why I thought that but I did...

sorry, I have a V green.. I had a normal in ground 1 hp pump that I changed the motor on to the V green VS motor.. :)

Can you give Inyo a call and ask if you can change your motor out... I looked at your pump when we started down this and it looked like an above ground pump but maybe it can be changed.. If it can it will save you even more money and you can just change the motor out just like I did.. NO need to change any plumbing, just the motor.. :)

If you can get a salt or SCS seal and a tune up/ rebuild kit for your pump.... :)

so would i want the square flange, or the C flange?

That is an inyo question as I have no idea just like you.. I called and made sure I was getting the right one.. :)

I've been really happy with this USA built Waterway variable speed pump. The prices have gone up a bit but I believe I paid under $650 from Inyo Pools. My local power company had a $400 rebate, you may want to check to see if your power company has any energy programs offers right now.

I ended up getting a circupool 2.0hp variable speed pump from discoutsaltpool.com

it's not quieter than my super II was, but it's okay.

i was able to get overnight shipping for about $125

probably the biggest reason i got it was that they answered the phone, and it was in stock ready to ship...

I never got a person at Inyo pool, and other places never had any of the products i was asking about. Some who had pumps were telling me at least 10 days shipping, with no expedited shipping available.

one more question - i have one of those Tork timers that was installed for my old pump.

now i don't need that.

It seems like there might be a way to remove the on/off pins so that the timer doesn't turn off power to my pump.

is that right?

the timer should still function as an on-off switch.

I think i'll eventually have an electrician install a new on-off switch

You should be able to pull the pins on the timer.

There is rarely a reason to run a VS pump at full speed. Try the 1500 rpm. If it skims the pool surface, use that for normal operations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.