Replacing DE filter with Clean & Clear help.

JJB5o4

Mar 7, 2019
New Orleans, La
Hey all, trying to get some insight as to what needs to be done as far as plumbing goes when installing a Clean and Clear 320. I currently have a Nautilus DE filter with a multi-port valve. From what I've read and been told, I need to remove the multi-port and replace with a 3 port Jandy valve. Can anyone explain to me how my plumbing should be done as I have a backwash exit that's plumbed to the street as well. I've attached a photo of my equipment. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5570.jpg
    IMG_5570.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 17
5o4,

Basically, you come out of your pump and into the filter.. Out of the filter, and in your case, into the heater...

It is not a requirement, but it makes sense to put a 2-way or 3-way Jandy valve between the pump and the filter.. This allows you to close the pipe, so that when you open the pump lid you do not drain the filter.. If you use a 3-way valve, it will also allow you to take water from the pump and send it down your drain.. This would be used to drain water from the pool if you don't already have an overflow line.. You would connect the 3-way to your existing backwash drain..

Just to make sure we are all on the same page... You cannot backwash a cartridge filter... You have to open and clean it the cartridges.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks Jim, Yes I know you don't backwash the cartridges. I was re-plumbing my backwash exit to use as a drain to empty the pool when needed. So between the pump return side and on the inlet side of the filter side is where the Jandy valve should go so that I can switch between the filter and my backwash exit?

5o4,

Yes, water would come out of the pump and into the Jandy valve.. It would normally go straight through the valve and into the filter.. When you want to dump water, you would turn the valve so that the filter is shut off, and the port to the old backwash pipe is open.. This would dump all the water from the pump down the drain...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.