Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Arlington, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Getting a jump on my pool opening, for a change, which in New England won't be for a month or two. Planning on replacing my ancient DE filter with a cartridge filter. I'm looking at Crystal Water 525 sqft Pool Cartridge Filter which should be plenty big. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Reliable? Does it last?

My other question is: I can buy the filter, but I'm no handyman (especially when it comes to plumbing), so I will probably have my pool people install it. Is that considered bad form? Should I just hire a plumber? Also, being a non-plumber, what would I need to check to make sure the filter is compatible with the existing plumbing? The description says it works with 2 1/2", 2" or 1 1/2" plumbing, so I'm hoping I'm set.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!

I'm looking at Crystal Water 525 sqft Pool Cartridge Filter which should be plenty big. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Reliable? Does it last?
I was searching for them on another post with OP getting one under warranty due to the TX freeze. There were many threads and it looked like as many happy users as the other brands. All in all the housing should be as indestructible as any (recent freeze notwithstanding). Down the road you’ll probably be buying aftermarket cartridges either way.
so I will probably have my pool people install it. Is that considered bad form? Should I just hire a plumber?
Pvc is Pvc so either would be able to do the same quality work. The trade/labor costs should be similar
what would I need to check to make sure the filter is compatible with the existing plumbing?
post some pics. If you are changing brands or sizes the plumbing probably won’t line up and there may be digging involved to get to enough old pipe to splice in the new filter.

Eric,

I'd want to make sure that the replacement cartridges are easy to get..

A Pentair 520 CCP is not all that much more.. Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 520 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your reply! According to description of the Crystal Water filter:
The Waterway Crystal Water 525 sq.ft. Pool Cartridge Filter model 570-0325-07is comparable to filter model:
  • Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 520 sq.ft. model CCP520.
  • Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter 525 Sq Ft. Filter model W3C5030 & C5030
so I should be good there :)

And the site you linked to (Polytec Pool) has the Crystal Water filter for $90 less than where I was looking (NyoPools), so thanks for that too!

Last edited:
I was searching for them on another post with OP getting one under warranty due to the TX freeze. There were many threads and it looked like as many happy users as the other brands. All in all the housing should be as indestructible as any (recent freeze notwithstanding). Down the road you’ll probably be buying aftermarket cartridges either way.

Pvc is Pvc so either would be able to do the same quality work. The trade/labor costs should be similar

post some pics. If you are changing brands or sizes the plumbing probably won’t line up and there may be digging involved to get to enough old pipe to splice in the new filter.
Thanks!

I guess my "bad form" question is that would the pool company I use get grumpy because it's a "user-supplied" piece of equipment? I know it shouldn't matter, but I've run into that kind of situation before. Maybe not "grumpy" more of "what the heck is this brand/make/model that I've never seen before".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
I guess my "bad form" question is that would the pool company I use get grumpy because it's a "user-supplied" piece of equipment? I know it shouldn't matter, but I've run into that kind of situation before.
You may want to talk to your pool guy first. My neighbor asked his what he could do. The pool service guy bought it at a discount (i.e. tradesman), gave it to the neighbor at cost and only charged him for the labor and parts (pipe, etc) to install. This was good for my neighbor so maybe your pool guy is willing to help.

You may want to talk to your pool guy first. My neighbor asked his what he could do. The pool service guy bought it at a discount (i.e. tradesman), gave it to the neighbor at cost and only charged him for the labor and parts (pipe, etc) to install. This was good for my neighbor so maybe your pool guy is willing to help.
Good thought, though I don't have a huge amount of faith in my pool guy... I'd like to find another one, but they're scarce up here in the frigid north! ;)

Just to follow up... I spoke to the pool guy, and they're policy is they only install the equipment they supply, which they will then support. Anything they don't supply and install, they won't support.

Anything they don't supply and install, they won't support.
So plumber it is !!! It’s fairly common across most industries and the nature of the beast. Home Depot won’t install what you got for a better price somewhere else. Your pool guys probably don’t even have the time to install their own stuff that they made full Covid profit on right now.

I spoke to the pool guy, and they're policy is they only install the equipment they supply, which they will then support. Anything they don't supply and install, they won't support.
That is fine. I guess what I was pointing to was if the pool guy would buy it at his discount from whoever they purchase it from and then sell it to you at that cost. Then they can charge you for the labor to install. Basically, asking him not to make any profit on the sale of the product but only on the labor. That is not normal business but maybe he be willing to work with you on this big purchase. But in times of COVID pricing and availability, he is probably overwhelmed. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone who replied... the filter "chamber" (is that what it's called?) and plumbing are all installed. Just waiting for the opening to watch it do its magic! I hope... 🙂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.