Replacing cartridges

rayn84

Nov 7, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Hey All! I am looking at replacing the cartridges on my sta-rite system 3 model s8m600 filter. My problem is when I look up the part numbers from the owners manual they a show up as being for the s8m500 or s8m150 model. I couldn't find much info on the filter model itself either so I called the pool builder today and was told they are the only ones I can get the cartridges from, they are $900 and I would be better off just replacing the whole filter. What the heck! Talk about a scam!

I am wondering if I just get the cartridges with the right part numbers online that they should be the correct ones??? It's looking to me like they just came up with a special model number for the pool builder just so they can screw idiots like me. Oi!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

rayn84

Nov 7, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Hey Pat! I actually did call them first and they said the part numbers brought up the other model numbers just like I found online. She said they didn't have info on the model I have. I thought maybe it was a discontinued model so that's why I called the builder next.

rayn84

Nov 7, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Yes, I found both part numbers listed at pool supply world. My only concern is when I click on them it says they go to different model numbers than what I have. I am thinking if the part numbers are right tho they should fit. Does that seem reasonable?

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
That's what I would do. I think they list the physical size, so if you want to be sure you could measure the old ones and compare.

bignick

May 23, 2008
Northern California
Not much help, but I have a different System 3 filter and there is a label on the lid which lists the two filters and model numbers. I found that there were no aftermarket sources, so I ordered a set of Sta-Rite branded cartridges on eBay. There is also an alternative retro-fit system. I have no experience with it and don't know if it works with your model, but I've had it bookmarked for a long time.

Excel Filters System: 3 Retrofit Kit - Eden Equipment

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
I love my Pleatco filter cartridges. They are cheaper and better than my OEM Pentair cartridges. They make replacement cartridges for lots of filters. The would be my first call for a filter. Pleatco | Advanced Pool 1-800-886-5160

TopherG

Bronze Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
Brooksville, FL
Are you looking for 25022-0228s and 25021-0225s?
I'm only finding them at Pool Supply World and Pool Supply Unlimited. Nothing on Amazon, eBay or elsewhere.

rayn84

Nov 7, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Yup those are the part #s I have. I have been looking at the pool supply world site a bunch today. :p

Bignick- thanks for that website! I had no idea that was an option. I think it would be great for me, I haven't cleaned my current filters like I should because I can't move them on my own. It's cheaper too. :D

I will check out pleatco too, thanks!

You guys are full of great info!

Other Threads of Interest