Replacing Balboa VS500Z board with different revision - 1 difference cant figure out.

livin

Sep 15, 2015
Denver, CO
I have a spare VS500Z board that was made the same year as the old... but there is 1 difference where a jumper connection lands.
Does anyone know how to configure the new board with that connection going to Terminal W4? Photo with call-outs attached (red circles and yellow text)

LMK if there is any other configs I need ot change - other than swapping the chip and making sure the other jump connections are the same as the old board. Thx

Side Note: You can I had a board burned at the left heater connection point. It was a solid connect, no clue why it fried but all fuses were fine so no over amp. Lasted 4+ years. Very odd IMO.

thx for the help!

Attachments

• Balboa_VS500Z_boards.jpg
    Balboa_VS500Z_boards.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 5
Well guys, I tried to place the white wire that went to W4 to the Red AC bank, that seemed to be logical.

BUT, when I turn on the system, I hear a click and nothing displays on the Topside control panel. The breaker doesnt trip, and no smells.

The prior system (one I replaced my pack with) came with a Balboa 52144 VL200 Mini Oval Topside and I use a full size, VL701S. I plugged the old Mini in and it lights up (my full size does not), but it only show dashes. If I push a button the pumps turn on and it will display the current temperature.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Did you reset the persistent memory after re-configuring the new board?
Do you have a 120v pump or a 240v pump?
DId you try connecting the W4 wire to J25 as shown in the pic?
Did you try connecting W4 to J35?
Which topside panel do you have?

I did try to reset the Persistent Memory. No difference... the existing VL701S Topside doesnt seem to power up at all where the VL240 does. The VL701S was working fine with the old board

All pumps are 240v -- they run fine when using the Balboa 52144 VL200 Mini Oval topside (one that came with the new board)

I connected W4 looks like it goes to the Audio Visual system... which I dont have so I dont know if that matters at all. I have only connected it to J35, as it was connected to a 240 relay (lower left side) on the original board and new board doesnt have a relay connector there. I can try connecting to J25, but I suspect that wont matter.

Last edited:
Yes, A3 was ON with my original board. I have tried it both ways. I'll try again this afternoon resetting the Memory. Odd that the Balboa 52144 VL200 Mini Oval is lighting up but the VL701S is not. I tried both plugs on the board too.

Last edited:
I'm buying a new topside. I found a Balboa doc that said do not lug in topside with LED backlights into J2. I wonder if I accidentally did this and blew the circuit? Its just odd that it was working prior to the board swap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.