Riverside, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I installed an AquaRite Gold T-Cell 15 SWG and controller on my pool in 2014. Lately production has been down and the reported salt ppm seems to be off. I opened the cell to inspect and given it's age and the calcium build up on the plates I've decided it is time to replace the cell. Several online pool suppliers as well as amazon cell aftermarket cells at a considerable cost savings over the Hayward unit. I'm looking at the following (one has a clear view glass for easy inspection of the plates).

Thoughts?

Hi SW !! When you are comparison shopping make sure to compare life expectancies. Many aftermarket replacements have much shorter lifespans. If you aren’t thorough you will feel good about your savings until it needs to be replaced twice as fast, or even sooner. In the end is probably half a dozen or six, But go in knowing what to expect.

Reactions: ShallowWater
Here's a TFP Wiki article written for AquaRite systems. Go through the diagnostics and make sure the cell is actually bad. There are folks here that can help diagnosing SWG issues.

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

LOL.. I've lived in SoCal, specifically IE, for most of my life and remember when Rancho Cucamoga was called "north of Fontana"! I never thought I'd see houses that expensive in that area.. Ever! BTW, I live out in Mission Grove by MARB and it Cost-a-Lotta here too!

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

LOL.. I've lived in SoCal, specifically IE, for most of my life and remember when Rancho Cucamoga was called "north of Fontana"! I never thought I'd see houses that expensive in that area.. Ever! BTW, I live out in Mission Grove by MARB and it Cost-a-Lotta here too!
Yes...things have changed a lot since I moved to the area from the beach in the mid-80s. Vineyards and orange groves have been replaced by shopping malls, commercial developments, and housing. We're in the north Alta Loma area away from the new development.

@chlorinatorpro

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of your units on eBay. Nice to see you suggest cleaning it first before buying another one, even at your discounted price. I'll take a look again and myabe give it a bath in Muriatic Acid but the passageways were pretty clogged on my existing cell..

I'll take a look again and myabe give it a bath in Muriatic Acid but the passageways were pretty clogged on my existing cell..
All the more reason to try cleaning it first. It very well could be end of life *and* clogged up, but you have nothing to lose by trying. Knock off whatever you can first with a popsicle stick or something else that won’t scratch it first. (y)

Reactions: Rq120
If you don't have a cell cleaning stand, just buy a tall bucket from Lowes or Home Depot and get some muriatic acid, (4 parts water, 1 part MA) and stand cell up in the bucket so the all the plates are covered in a the solution. Try not to submerse the cord connection. Let it fizz for as long as it takes. In your case it sounds like it could be 20-30 minutes.

If you don't have a cell cleaning stand, just buy a tall bucket from Lowes or Home Depot and get some muriatic acid, (4 parts water, 1 part MA) and stand cell up in the bucket so the all the plates are covered in a the solution. Try not to submerse the cord connection. Let it fizz for as long as it takes. In your case it sounds like it could be 20-30 minutes.
..or longer...

Soaking now. I've always just used a bucket to clean it. After the soak I'll report back.20200810_131229.jpg20200810_131245.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, every time I go to the pool store they try to sell me shock or some other BS I don't need. Drives me nuts!
Take a page out of the @mguzzy playbook and tell them that you dipped your finger in the pool and it tasted totally fine.

So I went over to Leslie's to pick up a couple gallons of chlorine to give it a little boost while I clean my salt generator. I decided to ask the guy why he's always trying to sell me shock. He said that liquid chlorine is full of a bunch of additives and everything and that the dry shock is 73% pure chlorine. He could not see my state of amusement behind my mask.

• Wow
Reactions: mguzzy
He said that liquid chlorine is full of a bunch of additives and everything and that the dry shock is 73% pure chlorine. He could not see my state of amusement behind my mask.
Soooooooooooooo the 27% leftover on dry shock isssssssssssssssss ???? Lol

• Haha
So that's a no go. The kid I like, but who told me the lie, said it would take 10 to 15 minutes to test. The store manager, who is a pompus "know all", said to leave it and it'll be a couple hours when I returned with it. There's no way I'm letting this out of my sight and I want to observe the test. I'm done with Leslie's. I only use them for convenience because chlorine and acid is cheaper at Home Depot, I have about two years worth DE on hand and I get my Cyanuric Acid from Amazon in a 50 pound box. I'm done doing business with this clown. He was too busy selling a $68 box of shock and some bottle of yellow out elixir to a poor sap to assist me, knowing there's no profit for him with me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.