Replacement heat pump recommendations needed

Chris177

Aug 12, 2020
Florida
I have a 12,000 gallon in ground pool. My 17 year old aquacal 100ahd heat pump has crapped out (compressor is toast) I live in central Florida and will only use it in the spring and fall basically. Does anyone have a recommendation for an electric heat pump that won’t cost $7k installed? I have a company coming Monday to assess it. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Look at Built Right or Aquacal although heat pumps are a commodity and all use similar common components.

Installed prices are typically 2X the units cost. A HP can cost $2,500 - $4,000 so $5,000 - $8,000 installed is about right.

Shop around your local area and check that there Is someone locally who provides warranty and repairs for the unit you are getting.

Hi Chris, just dropped in on your thread. I also live in Central Fl. I have a 20 year old AquaCal HP -120,000BTU, that's only had (1) service call in all this time, so I can vouch for this brand. I'm currently considering swapping out my unit "just because of its age", still on the fence because of shear cost.
Here's my thoughts, I am a bit of a DIYer, so looks like two common plumbing connections, and a drop and remount of a basic 220V connection that exist. Am I missing or overlooking something here on a HP swap out?

AquaCal is a standup company. My first heat pump from them had significant problems and they ended up replacing it with a brand new unit without hesitation or hassle. Their customer service is excellent in my experience.

Installed prices are typically 2X the units cost. A HP can cost $2,500 - $4,000 so $5,000 - $8,000 installed is about right.

This is probably true, but it shouldn't be. Unlike a home heatpump system (with refirgerant lines to be connected up and charged), the only connections to a pool heatpump are electric and water. For a replacement, the average homeowner could do this themselves. You likely will not have a warranty with a DIY installation, but for the price these guys charge for labor, you could replace it and still be ahead.

If you are uncomfortable with the electric, you could hire an electrician for an hour to connect things up.

This is probably true, but it shouldn't be. Unlike a home heatpump system (with refirgerant lines to be connected up and charged), the only connections to a pool heatpump are electric and water. For a replacement, the average homeowner could do this themselves. You likely will not have a warranty with a DIY installation, but for the price these guys charge for labor, you could replace it and still be ahead.

If you are uncomfortable with the electric, you could hire an electrician for an hour to connect things up.

As long as you can deal with the freight truck dropping the pallet in your driveway, unpacking and inspecting the unit, wrestling the old unit out and disposing of it (and properly handling disposal of the refrigerant), and wrestling the new unit in place. The hookups are not where you break into a sweat.

And finally hoping it powers up and works when you press POWER ON.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, guys, I'll be given the HP swap out a go myself later this year. I keep thinking I can purchase two HP's for the price of one with installation. I'm a frugal pool owner I guess that's handy. I'll post later in the season when I push the power button and its runs like it should.

As long as you can deal with the freight truck dropping the pallet in your driveway, unpacking and inspecting the unit, wrestling the old unit out and disposing of it (and properly handling disposal of the refrigerant), and wrestling the new unit in place. The hookups are not where you break into a sweat.

And finally hoping it powers up and works when you press POWER ON.

Ha, yes, all of the above. But a reasonably competent homeowner can install a replacement pool heatpump, given that the electrical and plumbing are right there (and get a little exercise while they're at it)!

:)

Reactions: Newdude and 4xWTub
So the company got back to be. They gave me 2 choices. A gulf stream he-125 and the pentair 120q heat pump. There’s a 400$ difference between the 2. Which one is better? The 400 is not an issue but the pentair seems to have a better warranty. Thanks!!

So the company got back to be. They gave me 2 choices. A gulf stream he-125 and the pentair 120q heat pump. There’s a 400$ difference between the 2. Which one is better? The 400 is not an issue but the pentair seems to have a better warranty. Thanks!!

Neither one is demonstrably better.

Get whichever one you think you will get better service with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I were installing, I would not go with either - I would get the largest available heat pump, generally around 140K. It will heat your pool faster, run less (which should translate to lasts longer), and the larger units are more efficient so you spend less on electricity. The difference between a 120K unit and 140K is a few hundred $$'s.

I currently have a Hayward 144K heat pump for a 7K gallon pool. Love it! After doing research though, my next heat pump will be an AquaCal (unless something newer and better comes out). They are more efficient, but what really caught my eye was the fact that they are 10db quieter than any other unit on the market today. Anyone that has had to hear their heater running will appreciate a 10db reduction in running noise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.