Replacement clamp ring for Jandy pool filter

RGS

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
After servicing my pool filter (Jandy CL460, cartridge filter), I decided to order a new tank clamp ring, since the original one was 16 years old. So, I ordered this Zodiac replacement part (R0357400) from Amazon. I have removed and reinstalled the original clamp ring that came with my filter, many times, so I know how to do it.

However, the new clamp ring does not seem to fit. The instructions say that it should be tightened until the gap is 1/16 inch or less. I could not get it any tighter than a 5/8 inch gap, and the instructions warn that it's a safety hazard if the gap is more than 1/16 inch. With my original clamp ring, I was always able to tighten it to a gap of 1/16 inch.

So, I removed the new clamp ring and compared it with the original clamp ring that came with the filter. I could see that the design has changed. When the new ring is completely closed (no gap), the distance from side to side is 1/4 inch less than it was on my original ring. I also noticed that the gap between the two halves of the ring at the point where they are attached to the hinge is larger on the new ring than it was on my original ring. So it is clear that the design of the new ring is different from the original ring it is supposed to be a replacement for.

So, what I am wondering is whether the instructions that came with the new clamp ring are incorrect in saying that the gap should be 1/16 inch. Maybe the new ring is designed to be OK with a larger gap, like 5/8 inch? Maybe the original instructions for the clamp ring were not updated to correspond with the new design?

I explained this to a Zodiac technical support person on the phone this morning, but he did not know how to help me, and suggested I get professional help. My question is whether the new clamp ring design is intended to be safe with a gap of 5/8 inch, or does it still require a gap of 1/16 inch or less, like the original design? This is a safety issue, so I need to know before I turn the pool pump back on. If it is not safe to use with a gap of 5/8 inch, then I will have to return the clamp ring to Amazon for a refund, since it does not fit my Jandy CL460 filter.

I'm wondering if any one else has encountered this issue? Here is a picture of the gap in front, after tightening it down to 5/8 inch, and a picture of the gap in back, by the hinge.

IMG_3678.JPGIMG_3683.JPG

Last edited:
The danger is if the ring should not hold the halves together since the filter is under pressure. I would call Jandy back and get a better tech.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.