replace or patch Intex ultraframe liner?

KarenT

Jul 20, 2014
Hagerstown MD
Hi, new here to the forums. I have skimmed through a lot of posts and looked through the pool school and will definitely be using the instructions here to maintain our pool better than it has been in the past.

We have a 16x48 Intex ultraframe that we've used for the past 3 summers. My husband always drained and stored it over the winter rather than leave up and winterize. I just got it set up today and plan to leave it up from now on; however I have found a lot of leaks near the seam between the bottom and the sides. Most of them are more like cracks and are not easily visible from inside but you can see them from the outside. In other words, the outer gray layer is missing and you can see the blue liner from the outside. My kids are in a rush to use it and want me to just patch the leaks but I feel that the liner has become too brittle from storage and I'd be better off just getting a new liner now, rather than having to drain it this fall and deal with that.

Also, I could not find any pool patch kit locally (Walmart, Home Depot) - picked up a patch kit for a pond liner but it is way too thick and doesn't adhere well either, since it is made to go on perfectly dry. So, either way I'm probably ordering off the internet, either for a patch kit or the liner itself. Intex is out of stock of that liner but Amazon has 3 left.

Thanks,
Karen

Here is what it looks like in the spot I can easily find it

Hmm, I copied the URL from my Flickr account but it's not showing up. I"ll have to look up the help files on posting a pic and fix this but gotta run right now.

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum, we to use to put up and take down year to year,(6 years) storing liner in a closet, never exposing it to the elements, well after six years of this we had developed leaks , after it was a 1/4 full, we drained it and rather buying a new pool assembly we just ordered the liner replacement from INTEX Corp. shipping was fast!!!! now our pool is up permanent barring no sharp objects it should last awhile. good luck

Alright, no luck with the photo. I used the directions http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/43432-How-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-%28full-guide-with-screenshots%29 but they are 2 yrs old and Flickr's changed a lot recently. No way to right click on a photo, at least in Firefox, and get that menu. You have to click on Share and then choose the link but I don't know which one, none seem to work.

Anyway, I am thinking more to just go ahead and get the new liner. I don't want to have to drain the pool this fall or next spring to replace the liner when it completely fails, better to just do it now. I'd love to go ahead and trade up for larger but the ground is prepared for this size and would take a lot of work to change it.

Poppa S, I tried Intex but it's not in stock; I have to order from a 3rd party merchant through Amazon. Hope I can trust them!
Ours only lasted 3 yrs; 6 sounds good for yours but ours was stored in an outdoor shed and probably got dragged and snagged a bit getting the lawnmower in/out.

i replaced my intex 18x52 with a regular overlap 18x52 liner from in the swim and it has been perfect!! i bought tarp grabbers from amazon to hold it in place and it has been a blessing. search for intex replacement liner to read the thread about using overlap liner. it has saved me hundreds of dollars and the grandkids are enjoying their pool again! got the idea from that thread and their are pics showing the results. the 20ML liners are plenty strong and i have had no problems whatsoever!:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.