Silver Supporter
Apr 1, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool opened a month ago and I keep getting white hazy water. I have slammed four times and started a fifth this morning. Brushing/vacuuming at least once a day, testing and adding bleach at least twice a day, keeping FC at Slam levels until I pass the overnight test. Usually only takes a day or two to clear up but comes back overnight a couple days later. Definitely using a lot of chlorine, I've used 23 gallons in a month, almost as much as all of last year. =( Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what to try next. Because it clears within a day or two I stop the slam process, should I keep my FC levels high for a couple extra days?
FC 13
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 350
CYA 30
CSI -0.35
TEMP - 82

If the levels have been consistently maintained as listed above, I would start looking for hidden algae somewhere. Maybe behind a light (in the niche), or under a main drain cover. Something else to consider, since you have passed the OCLT, what if the filter is responsible for the cloudiness? Maybe not live algae, but dead stuff not getting caught? ave you done a sand deep clean in the last season or so?

Thanks @Texas Splash once the FC is at Slam levels it clears up within a few hours with the pump on high, so I don't think its the filter? But I didn't know deep cleaning was a thing I'll check that out. Longest it has taken is 12 hours for the water to get clear, then I keep the FC high until I pass the OCLT and CC are 0, sometimes its the same night.
Hidden algae was a great idea, I found some brown crud in the returns and autofill just now and brushed it clean.
Current plan is to keep at Slam levels until I pass the OCLT, but then keep it there another 48 hours or so since these have been short lived and we'll see if that changes anything. That sounds Ok?
I'm not sure how to take the lights out, they are little LED's? Main drain I have had off before but its quite the challenge to stay at the bottom of the pool long enough to do anything.

If your LEDs are the small ones (about 3.5"), you don't need to remove them. If you wish to keep the SLAM going a little longer after passing the OCLT, you certainly can. May not be all that beneficial, but you can try. Below is the link for the deep clean. If the cloudiness comes back, you might take a look at the Mustard Algae link below to see if you need to o that route.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.