Repair / Renovate Pool Deck and Coping

Jun 23, 2018
Apple Valley, MN
So here is my situation... I have an 30 year old pool with an integrated aluminum pool coping. The previous home owner has been using a liner lock "the white rubber liner lock" to keep the liner in the track. The deck is in rough shape with a lot of cracking and sagging in places and the deck is starting to pull away from the deck in a couple places, probably leading to the need for the rubber liner lock.

So is this a total renovation project? Tear out all the deck, coping and replace liner and coping (non integrated) and have the deck replaced.
Or can I get by with repairing? Cutting out around the decking to replace the coping and liner and just resurface resurface the pool deck?

Has anyone done this and what is the cost?

I haven't had any issues with the liner falling out with the liner lock installed, so should I just leave it fill the cracks and gaps with sealant and wait until it fails?

Post some pics so we can see the situation you have.

I'm surprised you could even make out retaining wall I cant even see it in any pictures lol. That's actually the area I have the least issues but when I redo the rail road tie retaining wall I will push it back a few feet so there is more than a 6inch gab between them. Thanks for the recommendations I'll start saving my pennies lol hopefully get a season or two before I need to bite the bullet.

That's all water and frost heaving and settling. I bet if you diamond cored holes in the deck you will find voids of all sizes under the slab. In freeze climates you want water away and kept away from decking. Good news is that is has settled and once removed the compaction is minimal and if done right will last much longer this time around. I rip alot of concrete like this out and it's the same thing over and over. Bad prep just a quick deck pour to get paid and finish the job

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We get around 10bucks a sqft in NJ for demo prep and repour of broom finish concrete. Stamped adds 2-3 bucks depending on pattern and color design. You have a pretty large deck area figure about 5k for coping and liner swap. That's NJ prices were high around here

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.