Perfection, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I just temporarily repaired a hernia in the sidewall of our 20+ year old pool. There is other evidence of rust as well, mostly at the bottom. It's a 16X32 with a deck all the way around it. My first thought was to replace the pool this winter. But 16X32 seems to be an obsolete size. So replacing the pool requires a major rebuild of the deck.

My next thought is to reinforce the walls with galvanized sheet metal 2' wide, partially draining the pool and slipping the metal between the posts and the wall. Since the idea is to prevent hernias, there shouldn't be any force that would push the new metal from out of the posts.

If that isn't advisable...any recommendations on a brand for a new pool?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

What kind of shape is your frame in? If it's in bad shape too you might risk problems by partially draining it I would think by changing the pressure on the side walls during the procedure if it's in really bad shape.

Wouldn't you just be applying a bandaid to a problem that will need further attention later? Might depend on how long you are thinking of keeping a pool too. Maybe you could get pieces and parts less expensively than buying a new pool. Might be worth finding out.

The rest of the frame seems okay. Yes, it's a band-aid. But being virtually unemployed for two years means that a band-aid will at least let me enjoy the pool a while longer. I anticipate replacement down the road.

From a structural standpoint I don't see much difference between putting the metal on the liner side versus the outside if its supported. It's a real pain to disassemble being in the deck. Of course it's a real pain to work under the deck as well. My next pool will likely be vinyl.

Does anyone make a fiberglass free standing pool?

The only freestanding fiberglass I've found are round. Not a fit. So it looks like the band aid approach for a while. Since the deck is over it, it won't be visible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.