Renovation in SoCal

Feb 16, 2015
Valencia, CA
Hi all..

Just started renovating our about 12 year old in-ground gunite pool. Purchased the home 4 years ago and had to deal with horrible flaking of coping stone as well as cratering of the plaster inside the pool. Also have had to slowly replace some of the Jandy pool equipment. First changed out an old Jandy stealth filter pump to a VSP Pentair to save some $$$. Also updated to the new iAqualink 2.0 so we can control with our iPhones. Have dealt with multiple halogen bulbs on the old Jandy Colors lights going out as well as some shattered inner color lenses, while also replacing the light gaskets. We have 2 in pool and 1 in jacuzzi light, so I just ordered a Pentair Intellicolor 5g LED for the spa and am in process of getting the matching pool lights as well. My jandy SWG cell is dead as we have been running chlorine since we bought it, but with the help of this forum, I was able to diagnose my 170 error back to a bad transformer, so will be also purchasing a new Jandy PLC1400 setup including power sensor and newer style rear board.

We have decided to remove all the flagstone from our copings, steps, pilasters and fireplace and replace all those horizontal surfaces with sand finish bellecrete in dark gray with modern edge design. Our vertical surfaces behind the pool and on all walls, fireplace, pilasters, and BBQ island are going to be MSI silver travertine stacked stone panels. We have decided to go with Tropics blue mini pebble and are using a 1x1 mastertile blue mix for our waterline tile. We are also going to go from just a small spillover on our jacuzzi to a spillover on the entire surface and wrap the waterline tile up and over the edge, trying to get a more even flow for the outside of the pool and more modern look. Finally going to remove the granite top on our BBQ island and to with a poured and polished

Pool long view by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
Jacuzzi by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
Raiser bond beam by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
Uneven coping concrete line by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
Fireplace by MrBruin2k, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_6420.jpg
    IMG_6420.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 321
Thanks guys. It was pretty crazy for the demo as they brought a big diesel motor into the driveway and set up a line to the backyard to power their hand tools with a huge manifold to distribute the power. They ended up having 8 guys and had the plaster and tile all done in about 3 hours. Totally blew my mind on how quick it went! Tomorrow my contractor is starting his demo of all the stone which I assume will take a few days. Got an update on the bellecrete order which is being poured all together since it is such a big order as to not have varying shades from different pours. Order was put in last Friday and will be ready some time next week.

Prep work finished. They had to chip away quite a bit as the bellecrete is thicker than the stone that was there before. Also dropped level a couple inches down to level of the spillway and had to pour concrete to eliminate grab rail around jacuzzi edge and make it flush for tile. They also had to cut my entire concrete edge as the deck was poured against the stone coping and was uneven and jagged all the way around. They cut it as a straight edge around entire pool which looks much cleaner

image by MrBruin2k, on Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Waterline tile installed today as well as stacked stone on raised bond beam. They also tore out the small grass area that will be replaced with artificial turf. The tile is ceramic 1x1 mastertile em121. My pb said glass tile would be $75 sq/ft for install as his team doesn't do it and they have to outsource it, so that would destroy my already destroyed budget even further. Really happy with the look of this tile as it is similar to glass mosaic look but only cost me $8 sq/ft plus normal install.

I absolutely love everything you're doing! At first I wondered why the refurb - it looked good to me (on my cell), although personally, I'm not a fan of flagstone. After reading your first post, it makes sense. This is going to look fabulous! The Bellecrete coping is gorgeous, and the silver travertine ledger stone is perfect with the Bellecrete. I love the trim under the ledger stone - such a simple design touch but changes the look from great to oooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your waterline tile is perfect with everything else. I think you'll be glad having this tile. The maintenance (regular quick brushing) will be easier than glass - you have to be more careful with the glass - chemicals used, scratching it, etc (I know from experience).

I really admire your ability to create such a new and stunning vision for your pool and the pool area. I think it's easier to start from scratch. Once I have everything in place, it's hard for me get that picture out of my head and visualize it differently. Your renovation is going to give it a completely new look - stunning!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! And keep those awesome photos coming!!!!

Hi, It looks great. I'm still deciding on glass tile. Yes, more for the product and the install. Is that Fujiwa tile that you used? If so, what's the name? Also, I love your ledger stone, please share the name and manufacturer.
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. So the tile is from Mastertile Empire Mix MAS EM 121. It was very affordable yet very nice looking..it was around $9/sq ft and they are located in Anaheim. They actually have a very impressive line up of tile in their showroom and I just found them by searching for the look I was trying to achieve online. My PB hadn't ever heard of them but when I compared their sample to a few others that were similar, the quality and finish was much better on it. The ledger stone is by MSI Stone and is called Silver Travertine. I actually found it initially at Home Depot and then found the manufacturer directly in Sun Valley near Burbank. I went into the showroom and then had my PB contact them for wholesale pricing. That too was extremely affordable and not much more than all the manufactured Eldorado type concrete/stone panels. Will update later today as the tile on the jacuzzi overflow is now finished. Unfortunately we found out we were going to be short on tile yesterday evening so I had a nice 4 hr round trip this morning from Valencia down to Anaheim to pick up some more tile from Mastertile for them to be able to finish all the stepline tile accents.

Little bit of a slower week progress wise, but they are getting closer. Almost all the belecrete work is done except for the center pieces filling in the planters. Majority of the stone work is done except fireplace wall and BBQ. They just started demo of the BBQ and will be doing a poured concrete top to closely match the belecrete color with an elevated bar top. Putting in my 3 new Pentair Intellibrite 5g color lights tomorrow (2 pool, 1 jacuzzi) as pebble is supposed to be Thursday or Friday of this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.