Removing Pool Putty?

Mar 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hey everyone, I did a search for "Pool Putty" and "Pool Putty Removal" but didn't find anything so hopefully I'm not missing an answer elsewhere. On my pool (which is newly up and running after a new pump install and a skimmer line blown with a powerful water pump, clog finally cleared) I have a 1.5" vacuum port in the wall near the skimmer, which used to have a hose plugged into it to run a Barracuda (I think that's what it was, anyway) but has gone unused in recent years. It has the broken remains of a vacuum safety fitting screwed into the threaded pipe and there's what appears to be pool putty around the outside of it, maybe halfway around. I can't see a set screw, so I think this was how it was secured by whoever installed it. My question is, am I safe to scrape it away in order to unthread/remove the old broken port to replace it? Could the putty have been installed to seal a water leak through the gunnite? I'd like to replace the safety valve but obviously I don't want to open up a possible leak. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow if that'll help. Thanks!

T,

I'd scrape it off and try.. The worst thing that can happen is that you might have to put new putty back on, and I doubt that.

I have an unused suction port and it seems to me there is a set screw... I'd go out and look, but it is raining cats and dogs right now...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: twhitehouse
T,

I'd scrape it off and try.. The worst thing that can happen is that you might have to put new putty back on, and I doubt that.

I have an unused suction port and it seems to me there is a set screw... I'd go out and look, but it is raining cats and dogs right now...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sounds good to me, I can't imagine that a half-circle of putty would have been put there to stop a leak since water would just get around the sides, but I like to get second opinions to put my mind at ease. I'll have to go try and feel around it for a set screw again tonight after work, I can only deal with submerging my arm in the cold water for a couple minutes at a time, even here in San Diego. (I have no idea how old that thing is though, in theory it could be as old as the pool itself; perhaps really old ones didn't have set screws?) Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.