North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I have read through a few of the other threads about removing a booster pump, and the different options, but every pool is a little different, so wanted to ask about mine. Booster pump is not used anymore as we have a robot. We have been in the house since July 2019, and haven't even turned the booster pump on in that time. It has started to leak right at the inlet, so I am just planning on removing it. In my photo, and I right that if we just cut and cap at the red lines, we will not have any issues? Right now we have 4 returns, and seem to have good circulation, but more is always better. Would it be worth trying to plumb the booster return with the rest of the returns? It seems like that might be a bit of a challenge with how little PVC we have to work with, and I assume I wouldn't want to join in using the smaller PVC to the larger PVC?
Booster1.jpg

looks like capping it would work but you would have the return line that will get stagnant water and turn green... I think it would be better to connect the suction and return line together even if it has a lower volume of water going through it it would keep it clear :)

Reactions: mguzzy
Thanks for the response! I was wondering about the stagnant water, and thought that would be an issue. Would connecting the lines here work, red line being new PVC connecting the returns? (sorry for the crude drawing) I figure this would only have a small amount of water going through it, but seems like it would be more than is currently running through that line.

1599059586997.png

You would be making the pressure port a suction port. Is it threaded in the pool? If so, I would suggest getting a cover for it, but drill a couple small holes in the cover so you get suction, but no threat of entrapment type suction that might occur if the full size port is left open.

You would be making the pressure port a suction port. Is it threaded in the pool? If so, I would suggest getting a cover for it, but drill a couple small holes in the cover so you get suction, but no threat of entrapment type suction that might occur if the full size port is left open.
Yes, the port in the pool is threaded. So if I plumb it the way I have drawn above, I just need to put a cap on the port in the pool, but drill some holes? Will that keep enough flow so it isn't stagnant and become an algae breeding gound?

EDIT - I mis - took your picture. You are creating another return. I am sorry -- no need to cover that.
Right. I have a port in my pool for a suction cleaner. I took off the spring loaded cover and put a flat cover in to the port and drilled two 3/16" holes in the cover. It has a very slight suction which is sufficient to keep the line clean. The flat cover lets the robot go across that area easier.

Look at InyoPools or many other on line pool supply houses for the screw in port cover.

*Just saw your edit* But just to clarify, no issue having that small of a pipe being plumbed in between 2 larger pipes going back to the pool?

*This part was before I saw your edit*
I may not fully be understanding, if so I apologize. But wouldn't putting a cap on the port in the pool stop the water? Is my drawing below correct that this would be water flowing to the pool, and the cover on the threaded port would stop that, or is that was the 2 small holes are for?

1599061484663.png

Last edited:
you could put a cap in the water side and cap both of the return and suction side and be done... maybe see if you can put a shop vac on the return side blowing the water out and then cap it, less water in that line in case you or someone else wanted to use that line later...

Just an update, I was finally able to remove the booster pump and now have a new return with pretty good flow. Thanks everyone for your input!
Any idea what the piece of PVC in the bottom right hand that just comes out of the ground and is capped off would be?

1600798188298.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.