Removing anti-freeze

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the antifreeze from my lines this year.

It seems easy enough to flush the antifreeze from the skimmer lines. Just switch to waste, remove the skimmer plugs, prime the pump and turn it on. However, not sure how to flush it from the 3 returns.

If the filter is going to waste, will the antifreeze in the returns flow back to the pump (and then to waste) when I unplug them? I've seen a few posts saying this is true, but I find that hard to believe.

If anyone has done this, please advise.

Thanks

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the antifreeze from my lines this
It seems easy enough to flush the antifreeze from the skimmer lines. Just switch to waste, remove the skimmer plugs, prime the pump and turn it on. However, not sure how to flush it from the 3 returns.

If the filter is going to waste, will the antifreeze in the returns flow back to the pump (and then to waste) when I unplug them? I've seen a few posts saying this is true, but I find that hard to believe.

Thanks

See my post on page two of this forum. I am trying to post pictures now.

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the antifreeze from my lines this year.

Thanks

When you vacuum to WASTE, the pump pushes water into the MPV where it goes directly to the waste line. The filter and returns are bypassed. So, unless there's a leak in the spider gasket that would allow water to flow backwards from the returns, the waste water will not draw water from the returns.

There's no easy way to remove antifreeze from the return lines if they are already under water. Even when they're not, you're still going to get antifreeze coming out as soon as you remove the plug. The best you can do is to try to shopvac out as much as you can and then the rest will simply disperse into the water. As long as you used the correct RV antifreeze (NOT automotive), then your chlorine will slowly break down whatever amount gets into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.