Removing algae from salt pool

Taylorjbw

Apr 29, 2019
Olin, NC
Hi, I am brand new to this. I have a salt pool which is 26,000 gallons. I had to shut the pump off for a couple of weeks, so of course there is green algae all over the pool. Do I treat this with multiple bags of salt, or do I need to add some liquid chlorine or shock? Or possibly a mixture of the two? Any help is welcome, thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum!
You need to SLAM Process the pool. to do that, you need a proper test kit. What test kit do you have?
Salt is in the pool so the SWCG can create maintenance level chlorine. You need SLAM level chlorine. See FC/CYA Levels based on your CYA level.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

A salt pool means you have a salt water chlorine generator that creates chorine from the salt. The salt by itself does nothing. You need to get chlorine in your pool manually in the form of laundry bleach without any additives. When your pump is off your salt water generator does not run.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to SLAM Process the pool. to do that, you need a proper test kit. What test kit do you have?
Salt is in the pool so the SWCG can create maintenance level chlorine. You need SLAM level chlorine. See FC/CYA Levels based on your CYA level.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
I just ordered the Taylor K2006. Should come in Thursday and I'll be able to get all the readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.