Removing a Rainbow 320 chlorinator

MGA

Aug 16, 2020
St Augustine Fl
I having a problem removing the Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
I had a stabilizer problem for about two years
Finally got rid of the stabilizer
And the guy at pool store told me to start again with 3 inch chlorine tabs (although what I read on this site you should ditch the Rainbow 320–for reasons of too much stabilizer being built up and other reasons)
Anyway when I went take off the lid of the Rainbow 320 it would not budge but I kept trying to take the lid off the 320 finally it came off and realized I had turned whole thing
Took a strap wrench and turned it back it was not easy —turned on the pump and its leaking from underneath the 320
I looked up a diagram of the Rainbow 320 studied and took out set screw and tried turn it counterclock wise and wont come unscrewed
Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong

If you can stop the leak and get the lid off, you can leave it on and just don't put any more tabs in it. That way, if you go away for a week, you can put tabs and chlorinate your pool while gone. That is, unless you are going SWG and don't need the option. Taking the can off won't solve the issue of needing to remove the tee, so if intent on removing, cut and replace with pipe is the answer.

You have plenty of room, and, you have a fitting end at filter to create working room. If you are going SWG at some point, that would the replacement there v. taking it out now.

I thought I put a threaded cap on the tee and 1/2 threaded plug in hole
This is not a bad idea. It will allow you to reinstall in the future. The Diverter Tee appears to use standard NPT thread. Are you having trouble removing the chlorinator from the tee after removing the lock screw?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have plenty of room, and, you have a fitting end at filter to create working room.
I it looks like there should be enough room for two couplers.

OP, you might also consider installing a swg in that location. You should be able to fit a vertical installation kit there as an option. If this is a consideration, your plan of capping the existing tee is a better idea. You'll be able to save the existing pipe for the swg connection.

Reactions: Toxophilite
I finally got it off I angled a piece of wood in the set screw hole hit with a rubber mallet until I could unscrew by hand
IT WAS REALLY TIGHT
Now I’ll be putting a 1 1/2 inch pvc cap on the tee and 1/2 inch pvc plug in the hole that the regulator (dosage knob) goes into the 320
Then I can check the chlorinator and make sure it working check valve etc.

Those caps stick tight on that chlorinator. First time we filled mine, now changed out for another, the PB couldn't even get the cap off! Just put it up in case you ever need to go away for awhile. As for the tee, it is the only part of the chlorinator that has any effect on your system with the diverter tube inside, if any, for an otherwise unused aspect of the whole thing. But, at least you don't have to look at it or work around it.

Thx Rancho!
And thx Toxo
The chlorinator— it was really tight
PVC threads get stuck sometimes I usually use pipe dope to put PVC together acts like a lubricant while it seals the threads or sometimes I use both pipe dope and telfon tape on the threads
I guess you could use pipe dope on pools—Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.