Removing a Caretaker System

jmag999

Silver Supporter
May 21, 2014
Rhode Island
We are having our pool re-plastered soon. We currently have a Caretaker system which doesn't work well anymore due to plaster build-up around each head. We use a robotic cleaner anyway and I would like to remove the pop-up heads for aesthetics and less maintenance.

One of the companies said they have removed this system in the past by plugging them with rubber inserts, applying concrete followed by plaster. Another company said they do this too, but that they think we would need another return added to the pool if we did this. We currently have 2 returns.

Is there a way to calculate if the 2 returns would be sufficient? Has anyone else had this system removed during a renovation?

Reactions: Newdude

I have no experience with this, but I would not want rubber plugs.. I'd want the old head outlets to be plugged with some type of glued in PVC..

I have a slightly smaller pool with just two returns which seems to work fine, but I do wish it had two more returns so that the pool had better circulation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can you post a pic or drawing of the pool as it is now? I'd say that two returns will be sufficient depending on how they're positioned in relation to the skimmer. Also it would be good to see how the care taker is currently plumbed.

As for using a plug and hydraulic concrete over it, it's a good plan as long as the concrete is at least 2" (more is better) thick. All the plugs are for is to keep the concrete from filling up a bunch of the piping under the pool. They just support the concrete until it's cured.

I was assuming there would still be water in your IFCS.. If you can turn it completely off, then I too see no problems with the rubber plugs..

My pool that only has two returns has both returns on the same side of the pool.. With the returns in the locations you have, two returns should work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.