Relocating Equipment?

Apr 26, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm toying with the idea of relocating all the equipment (pump, filter, etc) to a completely opposite side of the yard/pool. I'm curious as to the general process I'd have to go through to do that?

Just some background- the existing location of the equipment is in a small pathway on the side of the house. I'd like to move it to the back corner of the yard to free up more space.

Beyond needing to trench/run electrical from the Circuit Breaker box to the new location... I've got 2 drains, a skimmer, a vacuum return (which I never use), 3 eyeball jet returns, and a water fall feature. Clearly I'd need to dig down to where all those lines come off the pool, and re-direct that plumbing to the new location.

Typically, how deep are those lines run below ground? I assume I'd have to find the location where the pipe for the drains come up close to the surface, and re-direct from that point... I have no clue how/where to locate that.

Again, I'm just toying with the idea at this point, to see if it's possible and if I want to take it on myself.

I'd love to hear any insights from you guys.
Thanks!

That’s going to be a huge project. With the cement we have here for dirt, that’s gonna be a tuff one.
Can you post up some pics of what you have now, and where you’re thinking of moving it to?
Maybe some folks can come up with some solutions for you. :cheers:

Did you see the pool being built? I have pictures of mine and the plumbing looked like a river full of PVC pipes running between the pool and equipment pad. Then there are the electrical conduits and gas line..... This is not a project that even seems possible, unless someone is willing to spend as much time, effort, and money as the original pool construction.

@DesertSloth,
As @Arizonarob suggested, if you could post a few photos, that would really help any of the folks that may want to dive in and see if we can give you some pointers.

That being said, I have experienced a bit of what you are proposing. I completely re-plumbed and renovated my pool equipment pad towards the end of last summer (Re-Plumbing the Pool Equipment Pad). I can tell you that is a big CHORE to be sure. Fortunately, my equipment pad was staying in about the same location. I did go below grade however and cut back all of the pipes because I was completely changing the plumbing layout, but I did not have to "cut back" too far. Here is an example.

IMG_4538a.jpg

1. Is this something that is do-able? Sure.
2. Is it a major task? Absolutely!

You will need to dig down maybe anywhere between 8-15 inches. I think the tricky part will be the brass conduit for the pool light. I had to extend my brass conduit and so I found a guy here in the local area that specializes in pool electrical and he stated that he does a lot of pool light termination moves. If you are in fact moving the light termination. You can most likely plan on purchasing a new light. You cannot splice the wires unless in an APPROVED junction Box.

If and when you commit to this task, PM me and I will pass over his name. He extended and bent the light conduit and ran it up in to my new load center. He did a real good job at a reasonable price. Since I had my new LED light on site when he came over, he even pulled in the wiring for me.

As far as the plumbing goes, I would recommend that you dig down at the pad and then start digging back until you are at a point with all of the suction, return, water feature lines etc. that you can make the turn to go to your new location. Be careful digging. I treated some of my plumbing like I was digging around an archeological treasure :p. I already had enough work ahead of me and did not want to create any additional problems.
Looking at your signature, I don't see a Spa, if so, that will help minimize the number of pipes that you are dealing with.

You will need to lower your water level. I had to go down to just below the level of the return jets in the pool to avoid a major flood.

Here are just a few guidelines.
1. You will need to soften up that "Caliche". Now would be a good time, since our soil is soaked from the latest rains. HOWEVER, Caliche, when wet is difficult to deal with. It's like wet sticky clay. It will stick to everything and makes a shovel full of dirt very heavy. It's a catch 22. You can't hardly dig it with manual tools when dry, and hard to work with when wet.

2. Time of the year for this project is important. You don't want to have your pool "static" for too long when it needs to be running the most (i.e. the warmer months). My pool was down for about two weeks I think. During that time, I super-chlorinated and stirred the water around a couple of times a day with the brush.

3. Here are some tips concerning re-plumbing that I posted in the above referenced post from last year.
(a) TAKE YOUR TIME!
(b) Plan, plan and plan some more.
(c) Measure and fit and then measure and fit again before ever cutting and especially before gluing. Don’t “swag” or "guestimate" any measurement. Each fitting opening should be measured for exact fit and then double checked.
(d) Use shims to get the exact “level” measurement.
(e) Use a quality torpedo and carpenter’s level constantly to ensure level and plumb (I think this is so important (see photos) to achieve a good final result in the plumbing layout.
(f) Cut the pipe using a “chop saw” for the cleanest and straightest cuts.
(g) I used several in-line unions so that I could “modularize” the installation. It also makes fitting and eventual painting of the pipes much easier as well.
(h) I opted to paint the pipes using a roller instead of using spray paint. I think it allowed for a cleaner looking result and with NO overspray. I rolled two coats. I masked off all valves, unions etc. which also gave a cleaner result.

That's about all I got on this for now I guess. Best of luck and if you do decide to "jump-in", please let us know how it is going and if you have more specific questions.
r.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't see it as quite the major project as others seem to.

All you current plumbing electrical comes together just under your existing equipment. Seems like you simply dig a large trench from you existing equipment pad over to the new pad and connect everything

Not a big deal at all IMO You'll only need to relocate or extend the pipes that go to the equipment pad. They'll likely only be 2ft deep max. I moved my equipment and had to re-route the plumbing several feet to build a pool house and I just dug the new trench by hand.

Finding where the pipes leave the pool might be the most difficult part, but it will need to be figured out before you can start to plan the job.

I also didn't see any mention of how far the move is. The additional pipe runs and fittings, especially when changes in direction are made, will add additional head pressure to the system. It could require a different pump.

The OP shows an Intelliflo VS in his profile. That should handle any reasonable distance. He may just need to crank up the RPMs a bit.

Reactions: MyAZPool
It's a big job to do it well. Yes he can dig out by the pad and cut and reconnect to new location. We all know that's not ideal. Best way on a Reno is to follow the lines back and get them from where they come off the pool and splice them there direct to new location. A trenches is not my choice a mini excavator would be. You can dig close and then hand work the little bit to uncover. That's alot of work but totally doable DIY if u know what ur doing. If ur not experienced w PVC work I wouldnt attempt it. I plumbed and built my entire pool and have lots of experience. Plumbing the pad nicely was alot of work u have to have a plan it sounds easy it's not if ur picky

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.