regulation or best practice when spacing pool equipments?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'm not sure if this is by code or if it was a horible design to start with but I hate the way my pool equipment are laid out. It takes up the whole area of the side yard and I'm hoping to get it cleaned up.

I plan on removing everything from it's current location and relocate the equipment so it takes up a smaller foot print. I don't know why the breaker box was installed in the middle of no where, why didn't they put it on the wall of the house? Can I move it to the wall of the house where my SWG is located?

Also, I read that the gas heater should be at least 24 away surrounding the heater, is there a code that requires it to be x distance from certain equipment? I'm thinking about moving the filter right next to it maybe 12-18 " and plumb the pump in front of the filter, essentially I'm trying to size down the foot print of all the equipment.

Below is a brain storm of what i have in mind.... the red oval is the filter, the blue oval represent the pump, I'm just going to turn it horizontal to the filter. At the same time, I want to flip the front of the heater so the front faces the direction of the photo, believe it's possible to flip the plumbing from left to right of the heater which will reduce the amount of elbows and allow a cleaner installation..

As you can see on the first photo the plumbing maks me dizzy. I want to clean it all up as the 2nd photo. I'll gain an extra 3-4ft of space where i can do other things with at the corner where the filter is currently located. Once that's done, I'll be buidling a privancy fence on the side that's facing the pool so we can't see the equipment.

Does anyone see an issue with this plan?

20210904_144222.jpg

new plumbing.jpg

What model heater is that?

The heater manual will give you the minimum clearances for the heater.

Breaker box is required by the NEC to have 3 feet of clearance in front of it from any other equipment or obstructions.

Leave enough room to work on the filter and heater and have room to put your feet around the equipment.

Definitely need to move the breaker box but rearranging the filter & pump seems like a lot of work to gain 6 - 8 square feet.
It's not just 8 sq feet that I'm after. The way it is now it makes the entire 8x12 area not usable for anything else. By relocating it, I open up the entire area on the left to allow other things such as a shed, a planter or what have you. PLUS esthetically it looks cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.