refreshing our pool - lighting /drain question

Sep 5, 2013
hello I had found this forum a long time ago and loved some of the custom build pictures etc...

anyway- after owning our house for 10 years we have finally pulled the trigger on a remodeling project which includes the pool.
my house is on the ridge in miami which means my property is at an incline. the pool is large by many standards, I have yet to properly calculate the volume, but its in the 50,000 gallon wheelhouse.
about 3' at the shallow end and 8' at the deep end
the pool is marcite and is pitted all over. we've now emptied it and it is getting ready for some modifications before a whole glass tile refresh
for lighting, it has 12V hayward incandescents that I would like to replace with some LED lights
the glass tile we are installing is a turquoise color. the pool has 3 casings

1) can i use the current casings / transformer and simply replace the lighting ring/fixture and wire the new one to the j-box?
i was contemplating pentair intellibrite RGBs but am open to suggestions

2) which RGB LEDs have dedicated white LEDs ?
I ask because I often see RGB fixtures claiming to have a "white" color but in reality it is the RGB at full brightness however it gives off this purplish color which is not really white (i hope that makes sense)

3) the main drain on the pool needs a new ring and cover however the PB working on the mods said under updated code i would require 2 drains but mine is grandfathered in. the pool is deep but the thought of putting a rectangular or linear drain is appealing in that it would fit in nicely with the square tiles. any suggestions? my searches for non-circular drains only bring up grate looking square drain covers

i will post some pictures tomorrow, but i'd love to get the conversation started because i am feeling overwhelmed because here in Miami the quotes for everything sway for everything and i dont really trust the contractors' advise- each one give their own opinion and it's clear they just want to make an extra buck.
to give you an idea, replacing the lights I have gotten quotes saying $900/ea or $1000ea which, when i look online i see a wide gamut - everything from just a bulb to a whole fixture. :eek:

unrelated but over the years we've replaced all the equipment
hayward sand filter
pentair VS pump, LPG heater, salt chlorinator

1) can i use the current casings / transformer and simply replace the lighting ring/fixture and wire the new one to the j-box?
i was contemplating pentair intellibrite RGBs but am open to suggestions

You need to find lights that fit your current niche size. Look at lights from...

Would 1.5" nicheless lights work for you...

2) which RGB LEDs have dedicated white LEDs ?
I ask because I often see RGB fixtures claiming to have a "white" color but in reality it is the RGB at full brightness however it gives off this purplish color which is not really white (i hope that makes sense)

I think they all cheap out and use RGB for white.

3) the main drain on the pool needs a new ring and cover however the PB working on the mods said under updated code i would require 2 drains but mine is grandfathered in. the pool is deep but the thought of putting a rectangular or linear drain is appealing in that it would fit in nicely with the square tiles. any suggestions? my searches for non-circular drains only bring up grate looking square drain covers

You mean a channel drain like...

Or square grates like...

here are some pictures of the project as it stands
the plan is to reuse the existing lights which are Pentair Housings but swap out to LED
I will look at the sun seeker lights

one of the pictures is the tiles we will be using in the pool. I wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations of grout types, I would like to used a green colored grout but many places say the color in the grout washes away

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.