Refinish Cement Deck

DerekP

Jun 18, 2019
Fletcher, NC
Looking for advice based on your own experience on whether to try some type of resurfacing (if so, what product?) or go with a pool paint (product preference?) to alter the appearance for the better and to keep "sand" from the cement getting into the pool after rains. This IG vinyl pool is about 16 years old with a new liner in 2018 when we bought the place. The deck has some cracks and the cement surface does erode during rains and get onto the pool steps. It's our 2nd year owning the pool. I repaired some cracks last year with a fiber cement and also with crack repair in a tube. I didn't like either result. Still work to do there but I realize whatever resurface option I use will need cracks repaired.

Here are some pics. It's just a lot of gray cement with discoloration when damp/wet as it was this a.m. about 7:45. I have power washed the entire deck too.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Derek

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0964.jpgIMG_0955.jpg

I've been happy with a product called deckover form home depot. I think it's made more for wood, but is acceptable on concrete. Its textured and has held up well. Only complaint is with a salt water pool and crazy pollen season, the color we chose tends to highlight salt and pollen... I've used a resin based product to fill small cracks - think I got it from lowes. If interested, I'll try to find it for you.

(cross posting from Resurfacing concrete deck)

We have a similar tired old concrete deck that we painted. Here's a before and after picture of painting the deck.
Pool deck before + after - Album on Imgur
You can see the original concrete color in the walkway of the "after" picture. It hadn't been painted yet.

Do that, paint the coping a different color, or a darker shade of the same color, and it will really clean up the space.

This is the product we used: H C® COLORTOP™ Water-Based Solid Color Concrete Stain - Homeowners - Sherwin-Williams

It ain't the Mona Lisa, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was

I've been happy with a product called deckover form home depot. I think it's made more for wood, but is acceptable on concrete. Its textured and has held up well. Only complaint is with a salt water pool and crazy pollen season, the color we chose tends to highlight salt and pollen... I've used a resin based product to fill small cracks - think I got it from lowes. If interested, I'll try to find it for you.
It does look good. I had a neighbor use it on his wood deck and he had issues with peeling. Have you had any peeling problems? I did like the texture for traction with water. - Thank you for your thoughts. I'll also see if I can find a resin based crack repair to. Was it a tube or something you mixed up with water and applied?

We have a similar tired old concrete deck that we painted. Here's a before and after picture of painting the deck.
You can see the original concrete color in the walkway of the "after" picture. It hadn't been painted yet.

Do that, paint the coping a different color, or a darker shade of the same color, and it will really clean up the space.

This is the product we used: H C® COLORTOP™ Water-Based Solid Color Concrete Stain - Homeowners - Sherwin-Williams

I do like that a lot as well. The before after pics tell the story. I will definitely consider that option strongly! Thank you!

It does look good. I had a neighbor use it on his wood deck and he had issues with peeling. Have you had any peeling problems? I did like the texture for traction with water. - Thank you for your thoughts. I'll also see if I can find a resin based crack repair to. Was it a tube or something you mixed up with water and applied?
If the concrete isn't prepared properly, as with any coating, you may have issues. I hired a guy with a high powered, heated pressure washer to hit it real good prior to my last application and have had very few issues. I just looked back to see if I could remember what the crack filler was, but I'm not sure. It was in a tube and I applied with a caulk gun, then leveled it out with a putty knife. I want to say it was some sort of epoxy resin... I wish I would have hit the few cracks prior to the last coat of deckover I put down. I love the color we decided on, but it definitely fades in the south georgia sun over time. I think the only peeling issues I've had was due to my impatience in getting all the furniture back properly prior to it curing fully. The issues are up under a porch and the chairs had metal feet...

What color stain did you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.