Refill the pool before closing?

RynLikes2Swim

May 11, 2021
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Closing our IG pool today. Leslie’s website says to “Refill the pool to between 4-6 inches below the skimmer inlet in vinyl liner pools and gunite or plaster pools” after we’ve add antifreeze to the plumbing. Is this necessary? What do you think of my water level here? Do we need a skimmer plug?
Thanks!

Attachments

• BA3C6C9B-FCF1-4569-9F04-1C024C69CDCF.jpeg
    BA3C6C9B-FCF1-4569-9F04-1C024C69CDCF.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 21
IMO unless you get big rain/snow late fall, it’s too low. 1” below the returns is where most companies lower the water before blowing out lines. Companies use skimmer plugs and ultra gizmos and duck plugs without lowering the water, for one reason, speed of the closing. Both ways accomplish the same winterizatiin.

Refill the pool to between 4-6 inches below the skimmer inlet in vinyl liner pools and gunite or plaster pools” after we’ve add antifreeze to the plumbing. Is this necessary?
I'm confused as to the advice. So you lowered the water level below the return lines to blow them out? And then are going to bring the water level back up after plugging the returns and adding antifreeze? Why not just leave the water level low. Unless you have a solid cover it'll fill up again anyway. I pump water off my pool to try and keep it below the skimmer all winter long (until / unless it freezes).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.