Refill after leak repar chemical question

Apr 28, 2015
Hitchcock tx
Live near Galveston tx
I believe pool to be 16,000 gallons
Has waterfall and hot tub
Polaris wall pressure cleaner

After several years of having a pool leak and finally the 2nd company I hired found 2 leaks. First company tried twice, found nothing and said they never promised to find it so quit on me.

Now I am ready to get the pool ready with plain rain and city water in pool at this time.

I am needing to add cya and borax (20 mule team is what I used in the past)

I believe I want to get about a 30 or 40 for cya and 50 for borax. Please correct if I'm wrong.

What is the best way to do this. I know 20 mule team is higher in ph and cya is lower and doing separately they need to be balanced?
Can I do them together to counter each other then adjust as needed after they settle out?

Hi David and welcome to TFP! :wave: First thing before you add any chemicals is answer these two things:
- What test kit are you using? (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). If not one of those, it really needs to be.
- What are your current test readings in the pool? We only add what is needed to achieve the recommended ranges (link below n my sig).

Below you'll also see a link for Recommended Chemicals, coupled with the other links below are quite valuable to you.

In short, Wal-Mart should have granular stabilizer to increase CYA. In our area with summer approaching, I'd go to at least 40 for now. You might increase later as the sun gets more intense. I'd also watch FC closely and ensure that on day one with new water the FC is about 3 ppm. Once you have the stabilizer in the water, increase FC to about 5-7. I like the bleach from HEB (regular Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value). Also make sure pH is in the mid-7s.

If you can post all your levels and update your signature with your pool info that would help a lot. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome! :wave:

With the Texas sun, I'd shoot for 40-50 on the CYA.

I'd also wait until everything else is balanced and running well before adding borates, because once you do, shifting pH and/or TA is going to be a lot harder to do. If you use the search box here, you'll find some threads on adding borates. A bunch of people have bought boric acid which minimizes the pH problems.

You know going in that you will need CYA and chlorine. The rest of it will have to wait until the pool is filled and the water is circulating so you can test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.