Reducing Pump Run Time

beautifulpool

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
North TX
Pool pumps are designed to run continuously. Before he upgraded to a variable speed pump (which I had a heck of a time convincing him to do) my father ran his single speed IG pump continuously from April to October every year for the better part of a decade.
I’ve heard people in the industry, (exceptions being for pools already battling issues) as long as you circulate your gallons, at least 1 time completely each day, as long as water maintains clarity and chemistry balance
It’s ok to cut back on run time?
I was at 12 hours p/day June-Aug
Been at 7 hours p/day in September
Can’t see any downside so far
Trying to cut back high electricity
No- Can’t afford new V/S pump
my My single speed 15 yrs plus pump ..... it’s still going ....
I may cut back to 4 hours Nov-Feb
What say you?

I’ve heard people in the industry, (exceptions being for pools already battling issues) as long as you circulate your gallons, at least 1 time completely each day, as long as water maintains clarity and chemistry balance
That is a myth.

Read the article linked in the post by homegameroom.

I have been running my pump 4 hours daily all summer, pool crystal clear with TFP method. I add chlorine manually in the morning while enjoying my coffee. I'm retired.My electricity is inexpensive with SMUD, costs me 10 cents per hour in summer, less in winter months. I brush every 3 -5 days and remove leaves as needed. The pressure gauge on my DE filter has risen almost one pound since May.

Reactions: beautifulpool
3 hours a day here...no issues at all. It runs 1.5 hoirs in the AM and 1.5 in the evening when I add chems (if needed). Pool has looked great all season.

2.5hrs.+/- here. Small pool, so after reading same article I backed it way down to see what would happen. Figured I could always increase it if it needed more run time. Pool has been pristine all summer. Testing 2-3 x week and adding chlorine etc. as needed. Electric bills are down. We run the pump if we're in it or want to enjoy the water moving. Otherwise, it's running to mix chems, push debris to the skimmers and filter small debris. And all those years I was running it for 8 hrs. a day. Live and learn! (The TFP way!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.